My friend has been having problems with the law because of his kleptomania disorder. He is suffering from bipolar disorder and kleptomania too. Well, the law acknowledges bipolar disorder, but not kleptomania. I just wonder, is kleptomania actually same as theft? Is there any way he can defend himself? Can I help him?

Unfortunately, the law in some countries does not take kleptomania as cause for relieving the people of their crime acts. This even goes for UK and US. Basically, the act of thievery is same in persons that suffer from kleptomania and in those that don't. But everything else is different, including motives - it is something those people cannot deal with, that thieving urge, and they don't still anything of big value, I mean pens are really not expensive, right?

Well, since we had one case of kleptomania in our family I know that the law is not going to sue your friend if he is really kleptomaniac. I am sure of this because they usually steal worthless things such as figurines, photography’s and even pens and pencils. Maybe if he had break into somebody’s house they can charge him with this but if he ends up in prison for stealing a pen.. I don’t know what to say on that.

But if he was stealing much more valuable things than I believe that kleptomania is just an excuse and you shouldn’t be trying to help him.

Anyhow keep us posted about this.