Earlier today my husband held in a sneeze, after he did it he instantly complained about his throat hurting. Its been a few hours now, and he went to eat something, he said he heard a "crack" and couldn't swallow. He is breathing, and talking fine, but says it hurts to swallow salivia. Is this serious?

Hi, the same thing has just happened to me. I held in a sneeze and bang, suddenly my throat hurts really bad and it hurts to swallow salivia. It only hurts on the right side and feels like a lump is there. Did you find out whta your husbands problem was?

I have the exact same syptoms. I felt like my throat was going to rip apart when I sneezed. I also have the lump in the throat almost like a gland is swollen, but not really.

Well, glad to know this at least happens to others.
With my nose blocked, I sneezed thru my mouth to prevent
aggrivating it for a few days and it improved quite a bit.

I have the same symptoms. I held in a sneeze on Wednesday this week and felt instant pain in my neck. It hurts to swallow. Anyone find out what the heck I did to my throat? It feels like a muscle of tendon strain.

I'm concerned about this. It started with an occasional pop in my throat when i swallowed, so i freaked out and quit smoking, cold turkey. That never really went away but I did notice that when I sneezed my throat would ache and usually went away after a few mins, I've held in my sneezing since I was a kid. I now have a bad cold and although I don't hold in my sneezing anymore do to this pain, it still hurts when i let out the sneeze, although the pain is sticking around a lot longer now, it feels like a bad strain in my lower throat, followed by a radiating pain to the outer part of my neck, that feels more like a muscular issue. Could this have anything to do with my smoking? Should I be worried about cancer?

I held in a sneeze three weeks ago and had instant throat pain. It started to improve until this week. I now have what feels like a pop around the hyoid bone when I swallow my own saliva and it is painful to touch trachea and hyoid bone. Today has been the worst. Extremely painful to swallow. Going to ENT ASAP.

I've just been diagnosed as having holes in my airway due to holding sneezes in (I've held every one in my whole life even when I was a baby). These holes are allowing air pockets to accumulate in the soft tissues between my trachea and thyroid bone as well as between my esophagus and spine. When I sneeze air rushes into these air pockets and forcefully expands then. Essentially, I'm punching myself in the Adam's apple and spine at the same time whenever I sneeze. My doctors are telling me it is extremely rare and can be life-threatening but isn't as bad as if the holes were in the esophagus. Currently, a Ear Nose Throat specialist is scratching his head as to what should be done. Surgery can correct the holes and remove the air pockets, but then I could just blow them out again (the surgery has the possibility of making it worse actually). If someone has gone through this and found a treatment that worked for them, I would love to know it.

Did you manage to get it sorted ? Ive just had the worst Cracking sound in my throat just now ! since this all started to me a year ago ! think its time for me to go see a specialist fast ! its killing me right now .
already had 2 doctors tell me its a viral thing !

Has anyone had this treated?

please help !!

My father has had this issue before.

He sneezed, and held it in.
We thought it hurt because your holding in a 10+ MPH wind current XD

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I always held in my sneezes, but about six months ago I held in my sneeze and suddenly the right side of my throat started hurting really bad. I seems to go away if i dont sneeze for a while, but now i have a cold and im sneezing a lot and the pain is severe.

Does anyone have a solution?

By the way, at the same time i started suffering from tinnitus, and i dont now if this is related.

Honestly, the best idea is to not even hold the sneeze in! If you are trying to keep that sort of thing from happening, sneeze! Your body is trying to get rid of germs--therefore, let it go. Does that help at all?

I was looking around finding anyone that might have the same issue as me, which is basically the same as all of you here discribed however instead of trying to find out what's wrong with my I rather found myself asking what's wrong with all of you? I don't mean it on a bad way, rather a funny sarcastic way and it's about you guys holding sneeze in. I mean why, why would you ever hold it in??? Sneezing is actually such a fun thing, it sort of shakes your whole body like I don't know tickle? And if not for that but how hilarious is that when someone has a reallly funny sneeze sound and everybody laughs together? Well maybe it's just me you know one of those happy people :-)

My goodness I just had this happen; it hurt so bad!!! But I unconsciously tend to stiffle my sneezes by "keeping them in"... I wonder how I can retrain myself to let it go?!

Wow I'm glad I'm not the only one. This happened to me yesterday for the first time. Now I'm losing my voice.