Can you tell me if there is a way to treat Munchausen syndrome. My friend has it and she denies it of course, but her parents confirmed my doubts. It is not that she does not act normally, but when she starts talking about her illnesses, I can clearly see that there is something wrong with her. Anyway, can you give me any advice on this subject?

It is very hard to deal with this situation, especially because there is no adequate treatment for this problem. I mean, there are therapies, butt that is more or less everything. No medications, although, some SSRRI meds have shown some effectiveness, but that is only if some personality disorder is a cause of Munchausen syndrome.

Hello there,

Since you have confirmation from her parents it is probably that your friend is ashamed so you should be great friend and ignore this together with her. Respect her wishes to keep this for herself and be constant support to her. Try to do everyday things like you used to before.

Since there is no adequate treatment for this condition you can imagine how her parents must be feeling and probably she is aware of that so when she meets with you she probably want to escape from all that. Indulge her and don’t mention her condition. if and when the time comes she will talk by herself and in the meantime be the only thing you can – her friend.