Hello, guys. My friend had some injury in the past with his elbow. Now, he has developed elbow osteoarthritis. I would like to know if this had something to do with this. In fact, I would like to find out what the risk factors are in the case of this condition. I would be grateful for all your replies. Bye!

Hello, there. I guess that injuries could have some influence on your friend’s elbow osteoarthritis. The basis of osteoarthritis is damaged cartilage. It can be that cartilage didn’t heal well due to frequent injuries of this part. Females are also more affected with this disease than men. People under 40 rarely have problem with osteoarthritis. I guess there are some other risk factors as well. I hope this helps. Bye!

Hello, everyone. I think that aging is also an important risk factor for osteoarthritis. It seems like cartilage gets worn up due to its “overall use”. You don’t see young people get osteoarthritis. Cartilage consists of almost 65 to 80% of water. With age, water amount increases and the protein amount decreases. Oxidative stress is also to be blamed for aging of cartilage. Free radicals are responsible for this oxidative stress. I hope this helps. Bye!