Hello! My sister has a six year old son. He has many difficulties with reading in the school and my sister is at his teacher at the moment discussing the problem. I remember he learned to speak later then her other kids but otherwise he is clever and healthy kid who doesn’t differ from others. His teacher told my sister he may have dyslexia. What are symptoms of dyslexia?

Hello! A child who begun talking later then normal may be the first sign of dyslexia but it also may not. Usually the problem becomes apparent by the time a child begins school. Symptoms of dyslexia involve difficulties in recognizing letter and words. Sometimes letter such as “b” is reversed for “d”, or even a whole word (“was” to “saw”), but this may not be the case in all individuals. Children with dyslexia sometimes miss spaces between the words and allow words to blend together. Children with dyslexia may have problems in communicating since they sometimes struggle to structure thoughts or to choose the right word to express ideas.