what is OSTEOMYLITIS? and what is the root cause of this condition?
What are the treatment for prevention and eradicating this disease?

Osteomyelitis is a bone infection usually caused by bacteria or fungus. The infection usually occurs when bacteria travels from another site of the body via blood to the bone. If the bone has been traumatized previously, it is likely for an infection to occur.

The infection occurs in long bones in children and in pelvic bones and the vertebrae in adults. When an infection occurs, it may cause puss within bone and abscess formation. These abscesses could decrease blood supply to the bone.

People most at risk are diabetics, those who undergo hemodialysis and those who use drugs intravenously.

The problem with this infection is that it may become chronic if not treated on time. A course of intravenous antibiotics is started first to clear the infection.
In chronic osteomyelitis, things are not as easy. If insufficient blood supply has led to the bone dying, then the bone needs to be removed.

does anyone what kind of physician treats osteomylitis , located in the jaw bone?

I had surgery in August at the cleveland clinic for chronic osteomytlits in my lower bone in my leg. I would suggest you contact the Cleveland Clinic and see if they can help you or suggest a physician who can help you. This disease really sucks and I hope you find help soon.

:D

I had osteomylitis in my foot when i was two years old. As an adult(for the last 15yrs) I have a chronic blood disorder where my bone marrow doesn't produce enough white blood cells, and of late, my red blood cells have become nucleated. Could there be some association to the osteomylitis that I had as a child? Investigations and a bone marrow biopsy have failed to find a cause.

My 19 yr old daughter was diagnosed with osteomylitis in June after extreme neck pain. In May she had 4 wisdom teeth pulled and the next day she experienced extreme neck, shoulder pain and we went to ER. They said she had a strained muscle and sent her home. Pain continued, took her to a chiropractor, that helped alittle but then the pain was worse and she was admitted to hospital. Anyone know of any connections between dental surgery (she was put out for 45 min and weighs 100 pds), two cysts were removed from the bottom teeth also and osteomylitis? She spent the summer on intervenous and recently is having neck pain and UTI again. Concerned Mom

I have been suffering from excruciating chronic pain in my jaw bone for almost two years now and after running around to every dr. you can imagine and having teeth and implants pulled out, I was told I have osteomylitis of my jaw bone. I am also pregnant currently which makes it even more difficult to treat. if anyone else has any info about help for this disorder or even is just going through it themselves, please let me know!

My husband is currently receiving treatment for osteomyelitis of his lower jaw bone which he has had approximately three years. We were referred to Infectious Disease at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City, IA for his treatment. They started out with a Pic-line which is an intravenous antibiotic. My husband was on the pic-line for three weeks and now continuing his treatment on oral penicillin for long-term treatment.

Guest wrote:

What are the treatment for prevention and eradicating this disease?[/ Can u get on pills if u have been on the IV

my wife had osteomylitis back in 2005 spent 20 days in hospital having it treated firstly they removed some of the jaw bone that had died and then it was iv anti-biotics for the rest of the time
followed by 3 weeks of oral anti-biotics to be sure
the best people to see if it is located in the jaw area are Oral and maxillofacial surgeons or experts
it was an extremely hard infection to control or beat but we got there in the end
now she is back with another one we hope its not back & that it just be a simple bad abscess ?

Osteomylitis has been an uphill battle for me for 5 years. I have had 4 foot surgerys and everytime they remove a little more bone and as of the last surgery I now have no heel bone and no achelies tendon it was all too infected to save. I have been on every antibiotic from ammoxicillin to vancomycin and nothing has cured this I feel all of us whom suffer from this horrible disease will never truly recover I have 2 Daughters 5 and 15 and my life will never be the same i can no longer play with the Girls or hardly walk. The Doctor says this will lay dormant and may return at any time we are hopefull that this last surgery has got all the infected bone but a hard reminder looking at a foot I can nolonger reconize as my on has taught me that I do not hope at all I simply go day to day praying that some Doctor will find a cure...in my case I had no previous broken bones or surgeries to cause this, I guess I am the lucky one. :cry: :cry:

I had surgery for a herniated and sequestered discs in the L4-L5 region of my spine last august which was causing sciatic nerve pain. Since then my life has been hell. Although the sciatic pain has all but disappeared, I had a csf leak in Septembet then finally diagnosed with chronic osteomylitis in January of this year. I had 2 spinal aspirations to find the bacteria or fungus that was causing it, but unfortunately nothing grew so I was put on IV broad-based antibiotics for 6 weeks, but had a near deadly reaction after 3 weeks and was taken off of them. In April I had another surgery, an open biopsy, where 23 samples were taken to see if they could find the culprit that was causing the infection, and get me on the proper antibiotics. No luck, and again was put on 2 I.V. antibiotics, I was able to remain on these for 6 weeks even though I had awful side affects with them. After the 6 weeks I was taken off then it was a waiting game to see if the infection was still there, unfortunately it was. It was then, I was sent to Toronto General Hospital's Infectious Disease Clinic. There they've been trying more antibiotics, (another course of which I had yet another reaction) but they've also referred me to a spinal specialist, orthopaedic surgeon. Now the only course for me is another surgery, where they will remove all dead disc, bone that has been killed by this infection and replace my bones with metal discs, plates etc..

If anyone has had this surgery where the metal has been put in, I would love to hear anything you have to say about it. I am scared but hopeful at the same time.

This is a horrible affliction, which nobody can really understand unless they've been through it or have a loved one that has it. My entire life has been halted, I cannot work, socialize, do light chores. Heck half the time, I can't sit up straight for more than 10 minutes at a time. I feel everyone's pain on this site, but it somehow also helps to know there are other people that know what I am talking about.

In September 2009, my husband underwent 'simple' hand surgery - carpal tunnel release and at the same time a cmc thumb joint reconstruction which left a pin temporarily sticking out. Surgery was fine, no complications, 2 week checkup, they went to change the bandage and rewrap for the thumb joint pin. Within 16 hours of that bandage change, hubby started not feeling well - that was on a Friday. By Friday afternoon, he was feeling worse. We didn't 'see' any swelling since they had his hand and wrist wrapped from the knuckles halfway up his forearm. Saturday was worse. Sunday he only got out of bed to go to the bathroom. Monday morning, we head to the ER which is about 2 hours away. The ER doc unwraps his hand and the pin shoots out of his hand from the sheer force of the amount of infection in his hand. The next 46 days were in the hospital - 7 different attending drs, 2 surgeries, numerous hydro therapies, hours of occupational and physical therapy, and 6 weeks of IV antibiotics thru a pic line - the first of which he was allergic to and had 'mild' renal failure before they took him off of and tried something different. Once out of the hospital, he continued oral antibiotics for another 4 weeks. His hand is deformed, and extremely limited in it's "usefullness" even tho he works at using it every day until the pain just won't allow him to do anymore. He can't even carry a dinner plate in that one hand. He sees a pain doctor at least every 4 weeks. A medley of drugs has been tried to control the pain or just even to take the edge off of it. Last week of February, the doc has ordered a bone scan to see if there are pockets of infection hiding in the bones even tho the blood work and cultures comes back within normal ranges. His last diagnosis is Osteomyelitis. He did have a 3+ staph infection at the site of the pin insertion that extended from basically his knuckle on his ring finger to the outside of the back of the thumb joint. This is a debilating and horrible disease not only from the disfiguring effects but from the pain and the mental battle survivors have to cope with. All of the doc's know about it - but I don't think there are very many that are truly specialized in it. Even the Infectious Disease doctors he has seen appear to be a little stumped.
It is our opinion that some of the best medicine is good family, friends, and lots of heartfelt prayers. While we know the situation won't likely improve, and this is probably the new normal, learning to live with it is something we hope that is achived in the VERY near future.
Good luck to everyone who has posted here or who has a loved one inflicted with this.

I also have been suffering with this disease for quite some time. I have had bone grafts, flap surgery, a tooth removed which has now left me with a large pocket. I have taken antibiotics orally which has not given me complete healing relief. I now have been told that I will have to have surgery to remove the infected bone and could possibly lose my jaw bone. He also mention that they could maybe take bone from another area of my body to replace the lost bone. I really don't want to go to this extreme, I'm truly lost and afraid about what will become of my oral health. I was told to see a surgical team at Loyola Hospital in Maywood, IL. I want the best care and not sure where to turn. If you have any information that could help me please, please respond!!!!

Please know, mine is a crazy story but it does have a good outcome. You can be cured. In November 2002 I had a temporary crown put on a tooth. While the temp was one, my husband and I went to Italy skiing. While there I started feeling badly and by the return flight was getting really sick. We returned home to Atlanta just after Christmas. My husband and I were due to go to kosovo two days later. He left but I stayed. I became so ill; I could not get out of bed. He was gone and all the neighbors on vacation for New Years. The so-called dentist was no ware to be found. Luckily a friend drove up from South Georgia and took me to the emergency room. The tooth was removed and I was put on oral antibiotics. I went to Kosovo two weeks later. Once there I was very lethargic. I was suppose to work for USAID but just could get started. I couldn’t walk a block, up stairs, or hardly think. I had a small surgery in a Germany tent hospital to remove some dislogged tooth or bone (remember this was just after the war). I was put back on oral antibiotics. I felt better until Valentine’s Day. We were at a party, I bite down and something exploded. Black oozed out of my mouth. I tried to get the US military to air-evac me to Germany. They refused (they had kid doctors who had no idea what they were looking at). My husband and I took a plane to Zurich and drove to Landstuhl Hospital. I had another surgery to relieve the pressure and more oral antibiotics. My white blood cell count was insane yet my doctor made no real attempt to figure out what was wrong. I spent three weeks in Germany as an outpatient. I could not get well and I lost hope in my doctor at landstuhl so I decided to return to Atlanta. I got on a British Airway flight home. I got very ill on the flight. My mouth and neck blew up like a balloon. The flight attendant and staff could not have been more wonderful, a true testament to British Air. There was a doctor on board, he and they, decided I could not make it to Atlanta. They dropped me off in with the Boston Mass General ambulance. Note: When the pilot announces we have someone too sick to go on and it is you, it is memorable. Anyway, I am now alone, with only my handbag, at Mass general. They ready me for surgery and notify my husband in Kosovo. My brother flies up from Florida to be with me. They go in and clean out my jaw bone and start to grow cultures. I'm on IV's and wait to find out what has been going on for four months. I have osteomylitis. Mass general was wonderful; they set up home health care in Atlanta and took care of everything. The home health care nurse was on my doorstep the morning after I arrived. I spent three months on IV's - vancomiacin and flagell (sp?), eight hours a day. Note: The key to IV's is the ball system. The inner ball pushes the medicine out as the outer ball empties, it is so much better than the drip system and I highly recommend it. In June of 2003, they removed bone plugs from my hip and put them in my jaw. My husband came home in July. I went back to work in October. Since then I have not lost any teeth and had no reappearance. Thank goodness for British Airways and Boston Mass. Gen. Now in 2010, I am having a little tuck up of the chin and buffing of the scars (one big, eight small). The whole thing will be finally over.

It is a horrible infection but we must know our bodies, be very persistent when we have doctors with limited skills and insurance companies looking for a quick fix. We must push to have our lives back.