I have had a swollen lymph node in posterior cervical region which is painless and unmoveable for a little over a month. I was given antibiotics to rule out infection, then scheduled for a biopsy of the lymph node (which has not yet occured). Last week, I began having aching and sharp pains in my salivary gland (parotid) on the same side. Last night, the area around my jawline became swollen and painful, and it feels kind of like a cross between tooth pain and an earache. I am sure all of these symptoms are related, but can't figure out what the underlying problem could be.

have had surgery on a salvia gland 2 times. The first time I had it removed and kept getting an infection. Had die ran in the gland to find out I had an extra gland and had it removed. I am still in alot of pain . Does anyone know what might be the cause? It is the submandiular gland.

I have the same situation.

jenek222 -- did you ever end up finding out what was causing your symptoms? I have almost exactly the same problems -- started out in the middle of the night with sharp pain under the side of my tongue (salivary gland?). The next day the pain continued off and on, and I developed a rather large lump or swelling just under my jaw bone. I am assuming it could be a lymph node. Ibuprophen helps, but when I eat just about anything, I start getting severe pain (burning and aching) under my tongue into my jaw and neck. Plus eating makes the swelling bigger, which makes me think I might have a blocked salivary gland. Did you go to the doctor, and what did he do for you? I hope you've had your problem resolved by now! If you have any answers, please respond! Thanks.

I there! I ran across your posting and thought I could help. I have the same problems with my parotid glands. After months and months of pain and antibiotics, doctors finally realized it is sjogren's syndrome. It is an autoimmune disease. Autoimmune diseases are characterized by the abnormal production of extra antibodies in the blood that are directed against various tissues of the body. This particular autoimmune illness features inflammation in certain glands of the body. Inflammation of the glands that produce tears (lacrimal glands) leads to decreased water production for tears and eye dryness. Inflammation of the glands that produce the saliva in the mouth (salivary glands, including the parotid glands) leads to mouth dryness.

I hope this helps. I find that chewing plenty of sugarless gum, drinking lots of water, and taking plaqenuil helps with the pain and swelling.

Good luck!

to Kimiata....I have the same problem with pain under the side of my tongue which is much worse when I eat anything and the swelling at the side of my neck/jawline enlarges when I eat. This happens rarely but has now happened again after three years or so of not happening. Just wondering if you figured out what is going on...

Watch what it is that you are eating because it could be a severe allergy to something such as nuts, with the swollen salivary gland being the only symptom.

I don't think it is food allergies because it only happens sometimes to me. I find the pain and swelling comes on right as I'm biting in to an apple or anything hard and sweet. But, it doesn't happen every time I eat something like this, I eat apples all the time and it only happens once or twice every couple of months and usually multiple times during the day of the first spain spasm. The symptoms always occur when I'm sick and at a more intense pain level. Usually the swelling only lasts a few hours then decreases but my left parotid gland has been bigger, rounder, and harder than my right (which when I touch it, feels nonexistent) for roughly a year. I have not seen a doctor, which I know I should do. Any suggestions?

I have exactly the same symtoms. Only happens now and again with some foods and occurs once every few months until now for the last 3 days I have had the pain under my tongue and the swelling at the left side of my neck/jawline - even keeps me awake. Has anyone seen a doctor - do you think they will know?

I also have these symptoms. However after a couple weeks of pain I developed some type of swelling and/or infection on my ear. I think I did the damage from pushing and tugging on it to relieve pain. Very strange. I can't tell if it's my jaw, my ear, my neck, my lymph nodes causing the pain. I have no idea.

My dentist made me a guard incase it's TMJ. Then my doctor prescribed antibiodics for the ear swelling incase of infection. I am going to see an ENT tomorrow so I will keep you posted if I find anything out.

Look up: Sjogren's syndrome and that is exactly what is wrong with you.

It's an autoimmune disease; cousin to Lupus. You need to have blood work done by a rheumatologist.

I am going to the ent tommrow. It is either one the two. Calcimum deposits inside of my salvatory glans or the salvatory gland itself is not working properly.. I have always got horrible linf node infections since i was about 12, now im 21.. Im not too sure if the surgery is gona help, because the dr has no idea if it is going to help.

I have these symptoms and I looked it up it said it occurred over 41 years old but I'm only 13 and this has lasted for months