Some runners, especially beginners like me, usually think that to get faster, we need to cover more ground with every stride. But I read that for distance runners, that's not the right formula for faster times. Moreover, it can lead to "over striding" and a greater risk of injuries they say. What is the frequency that your running naturally slows down?

The only way to improve at distances greater that the 5-K is faster turnover, or cadence. Turnover is the number of times your feet push off during each minute. Most runners find a cadence that feels comfortable. They stick to it and get locked. However, if you don't increase your turnover that rhythm will naturally slow down as you age. An optimal turnover has 180 foot strikes per minute. There are some exercises that can help you to reverse this process and slowly increase your running cadence.