Well i have a little problem. The race i'm running in Saturday i hear is quiet hilly-the name of it is even-Hillarity 5k- 8O
What is the best way you have found for running hills. I have heard that you should keep the same pace and shorten your stride. Is this true?
Thanks,
Vanessa

I can only offer advice for short distance races. Marathon hill work may be quite different for all I know.

When I run the hills in my routes, I make a conscious effort to back the pace of just a touch so I can keep it even throughout the hill instead of charging half-way up and slowing way down on the 2nd half of the hill.

Be sure to run through the crest of the hill and prepare to pick up the pace a little on the way back down the hill.

Batjac and I are lucky. 99.9% of our training runs are overly hilly. The other .1% is somewhat hilly. The best training for a hilly race are hilly training runs. I am sorry you have a short amount of time before the race, so that probably doesn't help much. I personally push the hills, and relax from the top down. My downhill pace is usually faster than my normal race pace, so I tend to ease up, giving my body and breathing time to catch up again after the hill(s).

Vanessa,

I think when running up a hill your stride will naturaly shorten. What really helps me is to keep my head up (looking at the top of the hill) and using my arms to pull me up. This means the same motion as if I were sprinting. I know it won't help you much now but running hills during training will really help with all aspects of your running. Click here for an article on running hills that may help. Good luck with the race.

i keep my head up the whole way, do not look down, your weight of your head will actually slow you down.
look up as if you are looking into the 2nd floor of a house....should help you go up the hills
pump your arms and go