Any thoughts or suggestions on doing speed work on a treadmill?

Getting dark at 5:45pm each night is for the birds!

I'll be interested in what other people have to say on this. I do all of my running on the treadmill. I do vary my runs at times and increase the speed every quarter/half miles. I have seen improvements and the ability to sustain my time at higher speeds. I usually train at a set pace though and probably should work with the speed more.

Good question Sonny. :D

I've never done repeats/intervals on the treadmill, but I've done tempo runs a couple of times and something I call ladders where you bump up the speed a notch or two every 1/4 mi.

I do intervals all of the time

I warm up fro 1/2 mile
do a variety of speed, by cranking up the speed button

I do either for time example 3-4 minutes with 1 minute recovery
distance 200-1000 meters with a 200-400 recovery

always do a cool down

pm me if you want more I have lots of them

i've done tempo runs on treads. i like that it's perfectly consistant. I'll have to try RTPD's suggestion.

You can get a great workout; but, it is still not 100% like it is on the track/road. Your stride does change because the surface is moving not you.

Try and save the treadmill for when it is necessary.

When cranking up the speed button for 3 - 4 minutes (before 1 minute recovery)... how much higher do you go? (i.e. what is the difference in MPH between your recovery speed and your hi-end interval speed?) Also, do you do your interval treadmill training at 1% incline (or something higher)?

I normally do something similar on my normal (typical) 5 - 6 mile mid-week treadmill runs. I start at like 5.5 mph to get a decent warm-up. After 5 minutes at that speed, I bump it up to 6.0 mph. After 5 minutes at that speed, I bump it up again to like 6.2 or 6.3 mph. I maintain that speed for 35 - 40 minutes. I crank it back down for the final five minutes to around 6.0 or 5.8 mph (for a cool-down). This session represents 55 - 60 minutes total run on the mill, typically at 2 or 3% incline the whole way.
I know some folks put down the treadmills... but I believe this has greatly enhanced my aerobic conditioning as it forces me to maintain a set speed for a major chunk of my treadmill workout.

I can't get to a track for my interval runs, so I tend to use the treadmill at the gym. I will run a couple of miles, usually outside the gym, to warm up, then jump on the TM. I will run 1/2 miles at a fast pace for me, then 1/4 mile recovery. Repeat 7 more times.

I don't think this is as good as doing the same thing on the track because the Treadmill maintains your pace for you. However, it is better than nothing and it will improve your leg speed.

I like to do distances of 1000 m and greater on the treadmill (at a 1.5 incline)- just because the treadmill keeps me at the pace I am supposed to run. I've done 1000 and 1200 repeats on the treadmill along with tempo runs. If I have 200's, 400's, or 800's scheduled, I head out to the track.

I've done a variety of 'speed' work on a treadmill: tempo runs, repeats and hill repeats.

The thing I like about speed work on a treadmill is that even though the surface is moving (which can start a debate on whether it's you or the belt that's doing the work), is the fact that the surface is moving and you have to go that specific speed to keep up, or you fall off the back.

I also like the fact that I can work on my form on a treadmill, provided there's a window or mirror in front of me.

I normally warm up for about 10 minutes. Then I do repeats of fast (or up hill) for 1:30-2:00, then regular pace (or level) for 3-4 minutes. Over the course of my training, I try to increase the amount of time for the hard section and decrease the amount of recovery. Start off with 4 repeats and work my way up to 10-12. Then a 10 minute cool down run.