Hello! My mother smokes more then twenty cigarettes daily and doesn’t take care of her health at all. Since she coughs a lot I would like to take her to the pulmonary specialist. I think she has to examine her lungs and blood. She is not happy with the idea of seeing the doctor but I am persistent. What kinds of lung scan are most common?

Hello! Regular medical check ups are very important especially if a person belongs to the group of people who smoke, since they are in greater risk. Your mother has to visit her doctor who will take her blood and send it to the laboratory for further analysis. Usually she will be examined by a stethoscope with the aim to discover any breathe disorder which can be heard. Usually a person is sent to do the X-ray of the chest. If the results are OK then no further scan is needed. If the picture shows some irregularities then there are two types of lung scans that are usually done together: ventilation scan and perfusion scan.