My mom called me yesterday "just" to inform me that she is having this dry cough thing for a while. Of course, she believed that this will go away by itself, so she never visited her doctor about this. Seriously, what is going on with older people and their health? Anyway, she told me that she has problems with a persistent dry cough but that this is probably nothing. Since we don't live in the same country, I am desperate because I can't help her right away and I don't know what this can cause or with what this can be linked with. 

Is persistent dry cough linked to asthma or some lung infection?

Hey Rafferty,

Both of these things can be linked to persistent dry cough but if you want to be realistic here, there will always be some other symptoms as well to show that you are suffering from asthma or having some lung infection.

Your mother probably just got a cold or has a flu or something, and it is very likely to go away on its own after some time. However, if this is already prolonging for some time, I guess that your mom should really go and talk to a doctor, she should do some tests to see if everything is okay.

Maybe she simply has a chronic dry cough? You do understand that if you have a persistent dry cough and you are not doing anything in order to treat it, your dry cough is going to become chronic? I think that this is the likeliest thing to be the answer here, I am almost sure that your mother is having a chronic dry cough and that this has nothing to do with asthma or lung infection (asthma is usually diagnosed in your early ages so just no). Just tell your mother to go and talk to her doctor and everything is going to be fine.

Your mother does not have asthma nor a lung infection unless she has some other symptoms of these conditions which she did not mention to you, you know your mother the best, do you think that she would do that? I assume not because (almost) every single older person kind of likes to complain about their health problems, I don't know what's the thing with that. Anyway, if you want to help your mother, you should convince her to go and talk to her doctor in order to see what is causing her dry cough and in order to get some treatment for it.

You are overreacting, I understand that she is your mom and all but dry cough is like a normal thing for most people and you simply have to experience it from time to time, whether it is happening due to a cold or a flue or as an effect of an allergy. It can be linked to asthma and lung infections but these things are really rare and you would have bunch of other symptoms as well and plus, your dry cough would be very weird, you would notice that there is something serious hiding behind your dry cough. Just tell your mom to talk to her doctor.

Well, I am not so sure what she is dealing with. I just know that she keeps telling me that nothing is wrong with her and that she has this problem for a long time now, which is not correct.

I don't even understand when someone has this cough and he or she doesn't want to do anything about this. I just don't understand my mom, but she is really hardheaded. 

She told me today that she bought some syrup and spray, I think that she bought propolis spray and she keeps telling me that she will be fine after this...

Sure, there is a connection between chronic cough and asthma. According to some researchers, chronic coughs can last for at least eight weeks or even longer. On the other hand, persistent coughing is one of the telltale symptoms of asthma. You can easily recognize it. For example, an asthma cough is also often accompanied by wheezing and this is a high-pitched whistling sound caused by a constricted airway. Also, there are some other symptoms that can include: chest tightness, problems during exercises, infections, shortness of breath etc. So, yes according to all of this, persistent dry cough is linked to asthma.