Hey – I’m wondering if anyone can give me some advice? I’m a type 1 diabetic and I use insulin glargine which is Lantus. I want to choose my own pen that I have for injecting as I’ve been using the AllStar and it’s just not doing it for me. Can I use any pen for lantus? Or are there specific ones? Where can I find out? And does anyone have any recommendations or ‘definitely don’t go theres’? I’d just rather choose what I want rather than the doc telling me – cos he’s not the one who has to use it. Thanks in advance.

Hi! May be I can help you out – and you’re right to ask the question. Not all injecting pens are the same so you’re right to ask the question. Each insulin cartridge only works with certain pens and the manufacturer will be able to tell you which ones you can and can’t use in the SPC (Summary of Product Characteristics). So, in your box of cartridges it will tell you which pens are suitable for your insulin (just in case you change again and want to know).

So in answer to your question the manjfacturer states that you can use OptiPen, ClikSTAR, Autopen 24, Tactipen, AllStar or JuniorSTAR – but be aware that not all of these pens are available in every your country. You are right – you need to decide which pen you want and which pen works for you. Some of them are brighter and don’t look like they’ve got drugs in them, others look more like you’d expect them to, and they all have different holders, so different people want ones that suit them. They’re all clinically accurate and generally work in the same way but the set-up can be different etc. Hope you get sorted and find a cool pen that you like. Good luck!

Can my dad use all star pens instead of lantus insulin gargaline