I have a daughter that is sick all the time. Sometimes I have feeling she constantly uses antibiotics. Lately her doctor prescribed her co-amoxiclav, and she needs to take it for a long time. I wonder what problems can continual use of co-amoxiclav antibiotics cause. Can you give me professional opinion about this?

The main problem with all antibiotics, such as co-amoxiclav, is resistance of bacteria. Most often, this consequence occur as problem of continual use of antibiotics. The gravity of the problem of antimicrobial resistance continues to receive global attention. Given this escalation in resistance and the overwhelming evidence of overuse of antibiotics, the pragmatic and essential approach to control antibiotic resistance is control of antibiotic usage. Anyway, there are reasons for optimism, as studies in various centers showed rapid reversal of resistance. National guidelines on this topic and good diagnostic and therapeutic protocols are important factor. Continual surveillance of prevalent strains and their resistance patterns is fundamental as a means of establishing the significance of resistance in clinical infection. Antibiotic resistance surveillance programs associated with registration of antibiotic consumption are necessary to promote optimal use of all antibiotics, as well as co-amoxiclav. Rational prescribing of antibiotics should be encouraged through educational programs, and surveillance. The most frequently used antibiotics were the third-generation cephalosporins ceftriaxone and ceftazidime, followed by imipenem and amikacin. Among the least consumed were co-amoxiclav and piperacillin in studies that were researched. Proper infection control procedures must be practiced to prevent horizontal transfer of drug-resistant organisms.