Hi there, I'm a 19 year old girl, and I've been taking antibiotics because I get recurring urinary tract infections. I've been getting them since september and I thought they were getting better, like i was having them less and less but lately I've been getting them more again. I'll get them about once every 2 weeks or so lasting a couple days. Anyways the doctor always prescribes the same thing for me everytime. Well I got one last friday, and it hasnt gone away yet, usually when im on the antibiotics it only takes 3-4 days but it's been more than a week this time! It's driving me absolutely insane because its very painful and I don't really want to go to the bathroom. I've been drinking lots of water and ive taken my antibiotics everyday, which usually relieves the pain within a couple of hours but lately its been getting longer and longer untill it does almost nothing it seems. Anyways I was wondering if its possible that the bacteria is becoming resitant to the antibiotic? Dpes anyone have any advice?

hey rachie,

it is absolutly possible for the bacteria to becaome resistant to that particular type of antibiotics.

the main reason they become resistant is because the same antibiotics are prescribed and overerly prescribed and a lot of people who take them just until they feel better and not take the entire perscriptions. and, well you probably dont want a huge long boring explanation of how they become resistan but the fact is is since you've been on the same antibiotic for so long, the bacteria that is causing it has become resistant and now the antibiotic doesnt work as we or perhaps not at all. what you need to get done is go back to the doctor and request a urin culture and sensitivity done. if he doesnt go for it DEMAND IT. this test will determin exactly what type of bacteria(S) is causing your infections and also what type of antibiotics will be affective against it.

make sure you take 100% of the antibiotics. finally why is it that you keep getting these infections do you use prober hygiene?

Ya I have proper hygiene and everything but the doctor cant figure it out so I have an appointment with a gynecologist in feb. but ive been waiting since nov. to get in...

he's supposed to be like a specialist...i know how the resistance and stuff works but it's been so long and it's still a long wait! im impatient for it

you need to go and get a urin culture and sensitivity done when you have an infection that will determin what type of bacteria is causing your infection and what antibiotics will be effective against it.

ya they did that the first few times i went...he never told me the type of bacteria or anything, he just said it was an UTI.

was it just a urin cultur of did they do a sensitivity test on it as well?

regardless you will need to get on different antibiotics to treat this and now we need to figure out what type of antibiotics are now affective against this resistant strain.

Im pretty sure they just did a urine test...I'll make an appointment thanks :-)

no problem let me know how that turns out and what the results are