My grandmother is going to a retirement home. She's had too many mini-strokes to take care of herself. My parents are probably going to move in to her house since they own it any way and they sold their old house to my sister.

My dad (grandmother's son) and his sisters have decided to go ahead and divide her stuff. My mom e-mailed me and asked me if there was anything I wanted for sentimental purposes.

One was a lamp (which I doubt I'll get) and the other thing was a pen (which I'm sure they'll never find). But, that's all I could think of.

I'd like to have something to remember her by, but I'm kinda coming up blank.

I would take a picture of her and a picture of my father when he was young. Before the world ate him up and spit him back out in the form I remember.

That's what I would ask for.

It's kinda hard to answer that question since I don't know what she has in the first place.

Maybe something antique in nature. :shrug:

I got a cookie jar.

From my grandmother that died, I got her Prescious Moments statues.... but the ex broke them in a fit of rage... so, I have nothing.

something that the two of you did together, or you always did there. I had a bentwood rocker chair. i gave it to my kids though to enjoy.
any particular dish sets, cups? or a picture (artwork) even if tacky that epitomizes her.

On an episode of "Fraser"(sp) he asked everybody to put little stickers on the things they wanted when he died.

We did the same thing in my grandmothers house. I didn't want anything.

My nephew out a sticker on HER. He didn't understand the dead thingy...

Sheldon

I second the request for family photos. The old photos of your grandparents or great grandparents are absolutely priceless.

Is there anything you gave her that she treasured?

That's all I want from my parents when they pass. And I'll be lucky if I get those things. :|

I can't think of anything I'd want from my grandmother. Just pictures I guess? I'd definitely want a painting done by my granny though.

:1:
and any old documents, family bibles, etc.
What can I say? I'm a genealogy nerd...

a lamp is a great remembrance of someone, actually so is a pen. i hope you can find one or the other.

i'd ask for a piece of jewelry, NOT THE EXPENSIVE stuff, even a piece of costume jewelry -- but that's cuz i'm a girl.

maybe she had a favorite book, an afghan or something she used alot; i have some that an aunt crocheted and it is a great remembrance of her.

does she make stuff, like knitting or crocheting? blankeys are nice.