so, my friends mom is sending her and a friend of her choice (me!) anywhere we want after graduation. she will pay for airfare and hotel, food and beverages are to us.... anyhoo, we know we want to go somewhere beachy, like the bahamas or the carribbean. but we have no idea where to start looking. we kinda want some place where there is other stuff to do besides lay on the beach, but nothing too wild... (you know, like sliding down a mountain side in the rainforest, on a rickety bicycle, wearing a full-length rain coat... ) anyone know of some good places to go or where to look for a good place to go?

Maui.

Beautiful, quiet and all what you want.

Costa Rica.

Beach, mountains, rainforests...all within 2 hours of one another.

The place is paradise.

I have also heard this. I'm trying to get my friend to take me along next time he goes to see his grandparents.
Hawaii is also very nice. I had a friend that lived there for several months and he loved it.

Just a feeling, but I'm thinking The Keys aren't that great :o

No. They are great for a small vacation, but I'd recommend Jamaica or the BVI before this for beaches, etc. There are not real "beaches" down here (unless you drive; you can't just go to a hotel and lie on "the beach"). All they do here is drink, fish,and get into trouble. You don't need that.

Awwww come on.... you'll laugh about it later.

before i knew that i was getting a free trip, i was thinking about costa rica for myself... i had a friend who went last summer and other than coming home with a bot fly larvae in her arm, she said it was great.
are there a lot of tourists in CR? ive read lots of magazine articles about young women tourists who get kidnapped and killed in places like that (as well as the carribbean, im sure) and was kind of paraniod about that... i dont want to go some place im not going to feel safe...

What kind of magazines are you reading? :umno:
If you just fly down there and wander around looking for lodging, I imagine it might be a bit intimidating, and not altogether safe.
Tourism is brisk in CR. If you talk to a travel agent about going to one of the beach resorts and then plan day trips to the rain forest for bird watching or kayaking or hiking, and you travel with one of the resort groups, I can't imagine you'll have any problems. The beach resorts on the Pacific side are best, IMO.
I haven't met an unfriendly person in CR. I've been there primarily for business, though, so most of the people I deal with are very accomodating.
And despite two caving expeditions and trips into the rainforest, I have not had a run-in with the bot fly.

How bout Northern Australia (near the Great Barrier Reef)? Lots of beaches and snorkeling/scuba diving opportunities...

You know if you are looking for nothing but relaxation and a little partying, I would recommend Cancun. It is in the caribean and it is a nice area. I was just there in December and loved it. there are plenty of day trips to do as well. I really enjoyed the mayan ruins and the pirate cruise was blast!

Because when you're laundering American dollars, everyone is happy.
;)

don't mind me...just lurking and sitting here green.with.envy.

Bayonne, NJ

;)
Very funny, Juan. :P