Both of my parents are quickly headed into the elderly category (not necessarily with age, but more with health/memory issues).

I regularly cook large meals and give the extras to my mother (she has a hard time cooking and so I know for sure they're eating nutritiously) or I'll freeze stuff she can just bake. I also help with the grocery shopping, cleaning house, going to the pharmacy. I feel this is my duty as a daughter because they did all those things for me when I was brought into this world.

On a side note: My one sister (she'll be 43) regularly cleans my mothers house because she expects my mother to pay her for it. The same sisters children will also help around the house for the same reasons. I think this is wrong and makes me want to :duh:

I do not care for any of my parents only because they are all in good health and live across the country. If I were to live closer and they needed help, I'd do so. Fortunately, all of them are in great shape. I'm proud that they all have worked on their diets and have regular exercising routines added into their days now. They all have now completely stopped smoking.

If I were to help them, I would not want to be paid or expect to be paid. I think their years of nurturing me, raising me and making sure I grew up ok is enough. Their paying time is over. I gave up money for chores when I turned 18 and went to college. I think your sister is wrong for this, unless she's completely destitute and in dire need for money.

I give them all the emotional support they receive. My brothers live within 5-30 minutes from them, so they do all the physical stuff.

My parents assisted me as they could with college tuition, and paid for my wedding reception. Throughout my life they sheltered me, clothed me, and fed me. I would never charge them to do anything, for in helping them now I'm just slowly repaying the huge debt I owe them for raising me.

They do okay on their own right now, but i'm not especially close to my parents. I do what i can when they need something.

When the time comes it will be me who cares for them, its sort of already understood with my parents and sisters...I don't know why or how I missed the vote on that. I'm allegedly the 'responsible one' (scary, right?)

My dad does pretty well on his own. I stop over a few times a month so he can see the grandkids

I cut my mom's grass (on a riding mower) 2x a month, plus do other handyman stuff as need and within what I can handle.

My parents are both still pretty mobile and they are set financially. I will do regular maintenance type chores for them as needed. My dad is pretty much a dork with tools so I would rather fix something when it first breaks than have to re-fix it after he's "worked" on it. My sister and I both live less than a half hour from them, when the time comes they need more care we will get it handled between the two of us.

Although my parents aren't exactly elderly yet, they are getting to the age where some of their household projects require some help. Keith and I are always out there helping them and I don't mind one bit. I'd never accept money for the help we give them, I feel its the least I can do. In fact I'm moving closer to them so I can be nearby in the future. Out of 5 kids I'm the only one that bothers to help them out at all, and sometimes that makes me mad. But oh well.

The GF's parents are needing more and more help....they pay some lady to come and do things and people from the church bring food....GF has to go through fridge though and throw out old stuff.....her brothers help with the big, physical stuff like repairs and maintenence and nobody quibbles about who does more to help them so that is good...the hardest part is that the dad is a pretty stubborn old fart who always wants things done his way...it's hard to reason with him sometimes cuz he won't wear his hearing aide and you have to yell and make sense at the same time, all while keeping it simple.....

My family lives in KY and I live in the DC metro area. My brother and sister still live within 5 miles of my mother so I suspect they will have the responsibility (although I am the oldest) when/if that day arrives that my mom won't be able to take care of herself. My dad, on the other hand, only has me. So far he is in fairly good health but when he gets older I'm not sure what I will do. He lives in Cincinnati.

It is very traditional with the Asian culture (my husband is Japanese) to have your parents living with you when they get older. Recently my grandmother's (also in KY) husband died and we discussed with her the possibility of her moving in with us but she decided not to. So, I think that if the need was there we would probably take our parents/grandparents in with us.

My parents are still quite able of taking care of themselves. If they ask for help, I'm there. They just moved out of the house I grew up in, into an apartment. They are hoping to build their dream house in about a year. I don't think they'll need me to care for them any time soon. ;) But I help whenever I can, I was a rough teenager. And they are wonderful parents.

My parents are still "young", mid-50s and doing well. A long time ago I learned a lesson from watching my Dad deal with money. I've never seen him take a penny from anybody, even if they owed him something. And once I hit 18, I've done the same in return to him. It's one of my little joys in life to hear the frustration in his voice, yet see the glimmer in his eye to know I've made it on my own and like him, being able to feel good about saying "no, you keep it". And believe you me, it's a challenge. One time I even had to get a prepaid credit-card in his name to get him to let me pay him back for something.
My in-laws, God bless 'em, are in a different chapter of life. And being the only nearby kids, we do as someone referred to as, "the physical" caretaking. It gets to be more and more each year. The benefit of having nearby grandparents for the boys is immeasurable.

I'm currently taking care of my 85 year old mom.

I had to move her to an assisted living place here in NY. I go to the house in Maine to clan and open it up. I'm thinking of taking her to ME in a couple of weeks once she clears up her cold.

Spending a week with my mom is, shall we say, tough. She needs meds 5X day and can't be left alone for too long. Fortunately, she has most of her faculties so she knows if the meds are wrong or missing.

Since I'm the only child there's no one else to shoulder the burden. My wife and my mom do not get along - think gasoline a open flames so there's no help from that end. My mom never did get a relationship going with my kids so although she is known to them, its not as a strong a bond as it should be.

Oh well - keep going

My mom turns 60 this year. :umno: She and my stepdad, though, are still very young. They went on a motorcycle trip from Buffalo to Tennessee last week and back. She gets up at 5:30 every morning and goes for a three-mile walk and my stepdad never sits down. But it does make me nervous that they are so far away from me if anything happened. They have plans to move out this way when they retire in four years.

robin's parents are both dead. We (including her brother and sister) took care of her father in his last two months. He died with dignity at home with his family.

Robin's mom died in her sleep. She was a healthy 78. Few medical problems.

Mine and Greg's parents are both relatively young. With 5 brothers and sisters I am sure we will rotate taking care of them.