Hello! My mother has been recently diagnosed pulmonary fibrosis. At first we were all in shock since we face such serious disease for the first time. I haven’t even known anything about it. Our doctor explained the possible causes and told us he would try with corticosteroid therapy but he also told us we should not expect too much. I know this is progressive disease. What's the survival rate on pulmonary fibrosis?

Hello! Unfortunately pulmonary fibrosis is a disease with no cure. Also, current treatments don’t show enough effects in slowing down the progress of the disease or improving the quality of life. Median survival is three to five years from the onset of symptoms. Of course, in case the patient is younger this period may be longer and surgery may be an option. As an example I can tell you that mortality rate from pulmonary fibrosis rose by 28% in men and 41% in women in last ten years.