Hello, guys. My kid has been diagnosis with ptosis. His doctor has told me to go for a surgery option. I would like to know when my kid should get the ptosis surgery. Is there any age limitation? I will appreciate if one can tell me something more about this. Thank you in advance.

Hello to you too. Surgery is the best option for ptosis. If the ptosis is not serious, it can be done between the age of 3 and 5. One shouldn’t do it earlier. However, if ptosis is severe and it impacts the child’s vision, then it can be done earlier. In these cases, it can be done earlier than the age of 3. This is important, so the child can have a proper visual development. Discuss this with an ophthalmologist. I hope everything will be all right. Good luck!

Hi there,
The fact is that ptosis, also known as drooling eyelid, is a condition that can be caused by several things. Your child is little young to have this because this is usually caused later in life. However some cases are caused by congenital abnormalities that happen at the birth. When did you notice this condition in your child? You have to know that surgery is good option and I think that you child will mostly benefit from it. If he grows up with this condition he may have severe vision problems. So you should trust your doctor on this one and you will see that nothing will be wrong. I hope this helped a bit.

Best wishes,
Marco

Ideally between age 3-5 is when you want the surgery . My son can only open up his eye less than 1/2 way. Our pediatric ophthalmologist recommended using sensitive tape to buy him time. We have been taping it since he has been  2 months old. - he is now 2. He does well with the tape and don't plan to do the surgery until right before he enters kindergarten. We are trying to postpone it as long as possible to get the best outcome and avoid multiple surgeries. We don't lift it too high because we want him to blink.

Hi, what kind of tape do you use, & how do you tape the lid?