I'm 35 and just had a high resolution ultrasound. The doctor said that our baby has a calcium deposit on his heart and that could be a sign of Down Syndrome. But he also said it's common and pediatricians aren't even concerned about it. Has anyone else experienced this and should I be worried? Thank you!

That state is very common. But, thankfully, it almost always go away by the time the baby is born. If you or one of your children has a structural congenital heart defect, then future babies are at slightly increased risk. However, most heart murmurs are innocent and in no way mean that future children are at increased risk. Anyway, keep an eye on it – I’m sure that docs will inform you should there be anything serious going on with your baby. God luck.

Hi.. I am 25 years old, 5 months pregnant and I bgot the same results.. Calcium deposit in heart, and the possibilty of Down Syndrome... what happened to your baby? Im not sure what the %'s are in these cases.. but could it erally be Down??? pls email me... _[removed]_

Your risk varies by age and other factors. At age 30, literature states that your baseline risk is 1:1000 at age 35, 1:500. The presence of this deposit is weakly linked to downs in literature as well. Some studies show it increasing your risk by up to 50% and others say there is little to no link at all. Even at 50%, that changes your risk to 1:500 or 1:250 based on age alone. If you are 30 or under, literature indicates that your risk of adverse events associated with an amnio are higher than that of your risk for downs based on a calcium deposit alone.

I hope this can help someone out there! My reg. ob/gyn had referred me to a specialist for the 1st trimester DS screening. Since this is my first baby I went not knowing any different. All my test came back normal. I am 26 my advanced AFP test normal, nasal bone present, nuchal trans. normal, growth normal. EVERYTHING NORMAl! Then on Tues. the Dr. tells my husband and I that one of the chambers in the heart is larger than the others and no big deal it will correct itself by the time the baby is born. Then he says the is a calcium deposit on the heart and on it's own no big deal, BUT the 2 together elevates my chances for DS. I was shocked! We then met with a "genetic counseler" who shows us all these DS charts and basically telling you to get the amnio so I did. I opted for a test called FISH which would get me the results in 24 hours. That was the longest 24 hours EVER! I was freaking out and sick to my stomach. When the call came everything was fine no DS! I think if these Dr.s see ANYTHING a little abnormal it is considered a marker for DS. I have yet to see on ANY of these boards one person who was told they had a calcium deposit and it turned out to be DS.

I was given the same news when I was 5 months pregnant. My son will be 2 in April and is doing great. We have seen a Cardio doctor 3 times now just to make sure nothing is wrong. They are watching for growth as well as it moving. It was never mentioned to me that this could result in downs. If that is the case then the doctor should schedule an amniosyntesis.

Nuchal (bloodwork) test showed that I have a 1 in 10,000 chance of down syndrome. (the best possible number that they give for this test)

I'm 39 years old. 20-week ultrasound showed a bright spot on the heart.

We opted for amnio, and are waiting for results now. 11 more days to wait.
Can't believe how stressful it is waiting for results.

my age is 26 and today i add scanning and calcium spot was found my chance is 1 in 1200 ...i dont know what to ..i am worried can any one help me...should i get amino test ??

i'm 27, third pregnancy with two normal healthy boys, i'm 18wks pregnant and at one of my u/s the dr found 2soft markers i opted for the amnio when i went for it that u/s showed that one of the markers had already gone away but i went through with the amnio anyways just to be on the safe side. i'm still awaiting the results, but i opted for it because the bloodwork is not 100% accurate where the amnio is. if you are given the option just do the amnio.

Hi there, I think that's pretty good advice and I'm glad that you're posting your experience so others can share in it because it sounds like it was pretty valuable stuff. Do you have any other advice along these lines?

hey im also 39 years of age and 20 weeks pregnant and found out that my baby too has a black spot on the heart is there any chance that you could tell me what your results were.because i understand that there could be risks involved with the nuchal test...therefore i do not want too take that chance...your help or reply would be greatly appreciated....thank you...regards renata..ps hope everything went well with the little one

And what happened?

Thanks so much I am worried Grandmother and this helps a lot. Good luck with your new baby.