Hello, folks. My friend is pregnant and everything was going all right until recently when she got listeriosis. I have never heard about this infection before, so I would like to know something more. Why does this infection sometimes occur in pregnancy? Can anyone tell me this? I will appreciate all your replies.

Hi, there. Listeria monocytogenes is a bacterium that causes this infection. It is located in water and soil. This is how vegetables become contaminated. Animals can also be carrier for bacteria. You can find it in uncooked meat, unpasteurized milk, uncooked vegetables, etc. Therefore, one should be careful when eating. This bacterium can be dangerous for both pregnant woman and her baby. I hope your friend will be all right. Bye!

Hello. I think that pregnancy represents some sort of a stress for a pregnant woman. That is why they are more prone to Listeria than others. Listeriosis is also common for infants and elderly people. It is also characteristic for people who are immune compromised. Symptoms appear 2 to 30 days after infection. A woman feels flu-like symptoms, headaches, muscle aches, fever, nausea and vomiting. If the infection spreads, more serious symptoms can appear. This includes convulsions, disorientation and stiffness of the neck. I hope your friend will be all right.

Hi, everyone. It is true that pregnant women have tendency towards Listeria. This infection can be harmful for both woman and her baby. Some of the complications are: miscarriage, premature delivery, infection of the newborn and even death of the newborn. This infection must be treated with antibiotics. They will prevent these terrible complications. Newborn is also given antibiotics. You can consult your friend’s doctor for more details. I hope everything will be fine. Good luck!