Hi, I am curious about one thing that I think you can help me with. Couple of days ago, a friend of mine mentioned something about animal allergy that affects his neighbor. To tell you the truth, I have never been in contact with anyone with this kind of illness, so I am not very familiar with animal allergy. Therefore, it would be great if you could clarify things about animal allergy to me.

Hi, animal allergy is quite common today. It affects both sexes equally. Babies and grown ups can be influenced by it with no warnings. Usually, animal allergies are caused by household pets. It starts when proteins of animals, found in their saliva, urine and fur, enters our airways or touches our skin. An immediate reaction will be visible. Runny eyes or nose and asthmatic symptoms are just some of the effects of an allergic reaction. Actually, what happens is that animal proteins cause the production of histamine in our body. It is histamine that affects upper airways and skin making the symptoms that I have mentioned. When you are affected, this kind of allergy and its symptoms can stay present for up to six months after the contact with an animal that you are allergic to. There is no cure. What one can do, in order to avoid allergy is try to avoid animals. Air filters installed in the house will also help.