If you have been drinking for many years and go cold turkey, is it possible for this to cause a case of hives? Someone I know went about two days or so cold turkey and broke out in hives all over. Didn't eat anything unusual, only took extra strength tylenol. Said he finally drank one beer after twelver hours or so having hives and within thirty minutes of drinking it they went away. Is this possible or have you ever heard of this happening??? Thanks

I am a recovering alcoholic and every time I used to try and quit I would break out with horrible hives. It was crazy. Itchy hives. Soon as I got a certain amount of liquor into my body, they would go away.

how did you make them go away?
my husband keeps breaking out in hives really bad, they last for a week usually than go away and appear again within another week. he also used to have a drinking problem and now he only drinks once a week or so. One drink doesnt make his hives disappear tho.

I have experienced the exact same thing. It is very strange, but it's interesting to see I am not alone in this.

This is my 3rd time experiencing the same thing! I kept trying to figure out the common denominator. It seems to be the fact that I quit drinking. They are horrible and extremely uncomfortable! I had to take steroids the last time to make them go away. This time I am going to use Aloe and hope for the best!

A lot of alcohol mostly whiskeys and some beers containe histamine. I believe because of the lack of histamine the body begins to attempt to make up the difference. I have experienced this. It is horrid!

I've been experiencing this daily as part of my withdrawal after enjoying alcohol the night before. I think the histamine reply is very likely, or it could simply be that our liver and kidneys are no longer functioning as they should and toxins in the blood stream cause a histamine reaction? That's only a guess, though.

A friend of mine got hives after she quit. She had a seizure (delerium tremems) and then was covered with hives. She said it was her body detoxing.

Ultimately, I think that this means were allergic to alcohol, folks. Time to put it down and pick up a new stress reliever?