Hello! My grandmother suffers from emphysema. Although she doesn’t want to admit it is obvious that her quality of life is decreased. I noticed her symptoms became more serious in the last two months. I read an article in the newspapers referring to a lung volume redustion surgery and I was surprised with the story. Can a lung volume reduction surgery improve patient's life?

Hello! A lung volume reduction surgery is a procedure which is performed in patients with severe emphysema. It really can improve patient’s life since it relieves shortness of breath, improves lung function, increase energy level and physical mobility, improve ability to function at normal daily activities and may even decrease need for supplemental oxygen. Not all emphysema patients are good candidates for this surgery so your grandmother has to see a specialist for full evaluation.