Hi, guys. My friend has albinism as far as I can remember knowing him. I don’t want to ask him much about it since I think he wouldn’t feel comfortable with it. I would like to know whether albinism is inherited condition. I would really appreciate all your replies. Thanks. Bye!

Hello. Albinism is indeed an inherited disorder. It is a result of mutation in one or several genes. Each gene is responsible for synthesis of proteins that build up melanin – a skin pigment. As a result there can be decreased production of melanin or there can be no melanin synthesis at all. To have this disorder, a person must inherit two copies of mutated gene. Each copy comes from one parent. If a person has only one copy, then he/she won’t have albinism. There are several types of albinism, but I won’t bother you with that here. If you want to know anything more, don’t hesitate to ask. Bye!