I’m so desperate. I hurt my nail and now it is dark. And painful, of course. My father said that it’s nothing dangerous, that I don’t need to worry and I have Subungual hematoma, whatever that’s mean. So, can somebody tell me, please, will I lose my finger nail after developing Subungual hematoma?

A subungual hematoma is blood under the nail. I can not tell answer on your question exactly because you didn’t say how big your hematoma is. It’s true that usually people, who got this kind of hematoma, lose that nail but it’s not happening always. But don’t worry, if you lose your nail, it will take 4-6 months to grow again.

My mother had a subungual hematoma under her ringfinger nail. She went to the er because it was very painful and they had to poke a hot needle thru the tip of her finger to release the pressure and squeeze all the water out that had collected under the nail. She said she could instatly feel all the pressure causing most of the pain release and she felt somewhat relived. They prescribed her painkillers and told her during the healing process her fingernail WILL fall out and a new one will begin to grow. So I'm sire this answered your question..it's just all part of the healing process. ;-)