Hi All!

My son is 2 yrs and 7 months now.

He has a thick black line running down his middle finger!

I have no idea what it is. He has had it for over a year now.. at first I thought he had just slammed something on it..

But then the line never went away.

Even when I cut his nails.. the black line is in his nail.. (so the trimmed piece of nail has the black line)

Over the weekend I did some googling, and read that it could be some type of cancer or heart problems :(

I just took him to the doctor today and the doctor said that its just a birthmark.. and its nothing.

But I dont get how a birthmark can grow in the nail :s if its under the nail/on the skin, then I'd understand.. but he didnt have it at birth.. and also its in the nail!!!

I wanted a second opinion so the doctor wrote us to a skin specialist!

Please help!!!

Any advice right now is much appreciated

THANKS!!!

Hello Mrs Smith, 

even though chances are always far bigger that you'll get the most horrifying answer on the internet than a positive one, I hope I'll help you at least a bit. It's not completely the same situation, but I was having a problem similar to your - apparently out of nowhere a black line started to grow on my thumbnail. And I've gotten the same answer from my family doc - she only prescribed me some supplements and that was that.

When I did the research I saw it might be linked to almost any condition from diabetes to cancer. The thing is, some of these diseases cause changes on fingernails - but those changes are far far more obvious and there are symptoms and symptoms far more noticeable that point to these diseases than a fingernail line. 

In the end, here's what my new doc said when I asked her - 'Oh, its a vertical line - that's nothing'.

Did you find out what it was ??? My son is 3 and half and has the same issue. Please respond. Thanks

SAME MY SON PROBLEM I SCARE

My son has it as well. He's 4 and a half now. I first noticed it when he was like 4 months old. His doctor aaid it was nothing I worry about. When ever I cut his nails, some of the black gets cut too but it grows right along with the nails. It's just odd. He hasn't has any problems and it spent hurt.

Sorry for the typos. He says it doesn't hurt.

Did you find out what it is because my son is almost 3yrs and has a black line in his toe nail.

hi did you find out what it is? my daughter is 2 and has it on her fingernail maybe since she was one, i dont remember when it first appeared.

We have experienced the same co edition with our 4.5 year old son. It was initially noticed during bath time almost 2 years ago and thought he stubbed his toe while playing. We have asked several doctors, but all dismiss it immediately. I am beginning to believe it may be an issue with yeast/fungus overgrowth that is manifesting in his toe. Typically, we experience fungus in this area as athletes foot. Perhaps a diet change will clear it up. Just my thought though.

My son is soon to be 11. Was born with the same thing on his big toenail. We went to a dermatologist way. Back when he was 3. They said it was just a mole in his nail bed.

I have had it since I was a child. I'm 23 now, and I still have it. And I have been perfectly fine with my health so far.

Mh 2 index fingers have been that way since i was a kid I’ve asked my mom and doctors they said it’s nothing but i have been doing research it could mean a lot of things

Me to but I’m getting scared the more research i do and plus i hate when people ask me about it

what finger is it on ? about how old were you ??

Same prombem my baby ,my baby 3year old