My 5 year old has a brown line under the thumb nail for about a year now, it hasn`t grew in size, it`s only gotten larger, he`s seen the Dermatologist , she said she`s not worried right yet and that we`re going to watch it and see her again in 6 months, and to take pictures monthly.a few days after seeing the Dermatologist i noticed a second line off to the side, it`s hard to see, i have to pull the skin back to see it properly, its definitely there and has gotten a bit of tan  color to it since i noticed it (Nov 23rd), it is not as dark as the line u see in the link below but its how that line started off .. Seeing as there are 2 lines in the same thumb it worries me a bit more if you had a line that wasnt melanoma.. did you find out what it was ?if you had melanoma under the nail that started out as a single line , can you tell me your story , from detection of the line up until diagnosis, changes that occured etc ..No there is no injury, yes its pigmentation not a blood markinghttp://www.flickr.com/photos/90942404@N07/8260269323/in/photostream/http://www.flickr.com/photos/90942404@N07/8261338270/in/photostream/

Hello nathansmommy88,

I have seen the pics you uploaded and i don't think it's a melanoma. I personally have removed one from my back a year ago and i was on a biological therapy with for a year. I was receiving 30 MIU of Intron A (interpheron alfa 2 b).

But the crazy coincidence is that after i saw your post i JUST noticed a same exact line under my right nail. It is identical as your son's. I never really looked into it, but i will sure ask my dermatologist what it could be in 2 weeks.

I know you might be concerned about your son's health but if the Dermatologist told you that there is nothing to worry about then do not worry. Just keep track it of and and note if there are any changes. If you still get scared i would advise you to see another dermatologist. That's exactly what i did, i always look for another opinion. I was thinking of creating a support group for melanoma here.

It would be really helpful if you could tell me:

• Why do you suspect this is melanoma?
  • Has anyone else in your family had or has this condition?
  • Was your son ever been sunburned really bad?
  • Do you or your husband have any suspicious looking moles?

Hope to hear from you soon.

It`s only gotten larger should actually mean, it`s only gotten darker. 1- subungual melanoma is one of the causes of longitudinal melanonychia , longitudinal melanonychia is rare in people who are caucasian. I realize that there are other causes for it, just looking for similarities 2- there is melanoma in the family but not under the nail bed. 3- subungual melanoma is not sun exposure related 4- no.

Oh i see. I was not even fully aware of subungual melanoma before i saw your post. The crazy thing is that i too have exactly the same line as your son does on my right thumb-nail. So it's a really big coincidence being that i am already a patient with a nodular melanoma (NM).

I did some research after your post and it turns out the yes, subungual melanoma is rare in Caucasians, only 3% of all melanoma patients have this Acral lentiginous melanoma (ALM). The symptom and the picture of this melanome is very similar to what i have on my thumb-nail. They are saying that the symptoms of this type of melanoma are:

- ill defind macule

- patch of light brown discoloration of the skin

- dark pigmentation of the (rear) nail fold

"The differential diagnosis of subungual melanoma includes benign pigmented lesions of the nail bed mechanism (melanonychia striata), in addition to chronic bacterial fungal infection, and subungual hematoma" (http://surgery.med.nyu.edu/oncology/patient-care/melanoma/special-situations/subungual-nail-bed)

Nevertheless, I will definitely check this out as soon as possible being that i have a greater risk for this disease. As for your son , i would not worry much being that he is so young and the he does not belong in the "high risk" group but it wouldn't hurt if you went to see another dermatologist or even an oncologist with melanoma's specialty. If it's getting larger and changing color that is definitely a sign of something going on with the melanocytes . Were you planning on going to see another dermatologist?

Yes i do agree that subungual melanoma is not sun exposure related but honestly, the connection that they made with sun exposure and melanoma in general is really poor. Meaning, that sometimes nodular melanoma appears on places where there could not be any direct sunlight exposure which is unexplained in medicine. I am going for an appointment with my dermatologist in 2 weeks or so, in the worst case scenario ( while it's still in the early stage) i could be doing a biopsy to check it out just in case.

the dermatologist that we seen says that it is probably a benign mole under the nail, usually a subungual hematoma wont present itself as a single line, there is no history of injury, or any known. I`m in canada and the waiting lists are extremely long to see a dermatologist, about 6 months , i should be going back to see her in the beginning of may to have it measured again. she said `I don`t see anything that is making my heart beat fast, but we will keep an eye on it`, i was satisfied with that, but now there is a second line in the same thumb, I can`t find any information on that, other than it`s common in people who are dark skinned. let me know what your dermatologist says about it please :)

Is there a reason my responses are coming in all bunched together instead of paragraphs haha ? im new here

Oh i see. Well the best thing to do is to keep an eye on it. Maybe if you have a digital camera or even your phone with a camer, you can take photos of it every week . That way you can clearly see any changes in time. Just make sure that you are always taking a photo from the same distance ( If it's closer it will look bigger and vice verse)

I will see my plastic surgeon tomorrow and ask her more about this and i will respond to you in a day or two. Also, i will be seeing my dermatologist in 2 weeks and also my oncologist in a month and sure thing i will get some info out of them :)

In the meantime, you could register here. That way you can easily stay on track with your posts and answers and we can be friends. You can even help others with your knowledge here.

As for the "bunched together text", i think it's because when you click on "reply to this post" button you don't have a text editor. If you want to edit your text much easier is if you click on "Reply" button. Also make sure when you are making spaces between paragraphs you separate it with at least one clear line, or press Enter twice when you want new paragraph.

I will reply to you as soon as i get some direct info.

any reply from the plastic surgeon ?

Hi again. Yes i was at the plastic surgeon on Friday and i asked her about it and she said there is nothing to worry about. She said: "I know what you mean, but that's not it, that's probably because of something else but definitely not ALM". I told her how i read stuff online and she told me that's good. "It's always a good thing to educate yourself and check for any changes on your body".

So that definitely eased my mind :). So i think you should feel better too because my thumb is almost identical to your son's. I can even post some pictures of it if you would like?

Anyhow, i will see my dermatologist too in two weeks for a scheduled dermatoscopy and she will take a high resolution photo of it and check it in depth.

Are you checking on your son's thumb regularly? Taking photos maybe? Is there any change, in shape or color?

Okay ..  sorry  Ive been busy with the holidays .. there has been no changes in size or color of the original line .. but I have noticed it does look like its darker in one spot .. possibly where the mole may be i guess.. but the other line that we noticed in november has gotten much more noticeable .. have you had your dematology appointment as of yet?

I would rule out Melanoma! It appears to be pigment generating from the nail matrix. Perhaps an injury, maybe a birthmark.

Hi.

I was busy with school and work so i did not answer. I was at the dermatologist yesterday and she took a look at it and said it's nothing to worry about.

However, i have a very dark pigmentation on my toe-nail and Dr said she want to take a look at it through a dermatoscope. So i am going to check it out the day after tomorrow.

As for your son's pigmentation, i would not worry. It's definitely not melanoma. It's probably something else not that serious.

Have you noticed any changes since we last talked?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks for posting, I have a few brown lines I my right thumb, I am afraid it's something dangerous that's growing in my body.