Hi there!!

I had my nails done for the Christmas period and had acrylic tips with a lovely purple sparkly nail polish on. I got bored of the polish and attempted to get it off with acetone free nail varnish remover. It took hours to try and remove it but alas it stayed! 

Since then i have had dry fingertips that ended up blistering and now the skin is peeling off and has ended up being quite sore. Sometimes i cant feel my thumb or forefinger aside from a tingly sensation.

I refuse to go to the doctors at this moment because as a NHS patient im looking at £7.20 per prescription and i begrudge paying that if someone else has a better suggestion. 

So far i have done nothing but keep my hands moisturised and sometimes use HC45 to help with the dry skin. It's sending me nuts!

Does anyone have any suggestions with what i could do to help it or should i let it do its thing and leave it be??

Many thanks

Vicki

I thought i would reply to this seen as no-one else could suggest something for me and thought this could be useful for someone else to know incase it happens to them.
It turns out that this is a chemical burn to the tips of my fingers which caused the above symptoms. 

Thanks for your follow up post my 10 year old daugter used some nail polish remover and a couple of her fingers got blisters full of fluid and then her skin peeled off. Her fingers are tender because of the raw skin. How is your chemical burn now?

My 9 year old daughter has just used nail varnish remover in the past couple of days and her skin on finger tips cracked, bubbled and peeled of lots of layers. It didnt hurt but is tender and annoying where new skin is.

I had the same problem abt 10years ago. I thought keeping it moisturizer would help and it does only to a point. Try finding a place that does hand and arm massage ask them if they also do hand dipped in hot wax. That helps w moisture. Other thing u could try is over the counter medicated lotion w extra moisturizer. Put on ur hands and put gloves over em to keep the moisture on ur hands bec air dries lotion faster than u think.

My daughter has the same problem now and we are wondering how you treated the blisters? They seem to be getting bigger and bigger. Is there any way to stop that?

I'm suffering from the same problem. The blisters have just started, skin is cracking and blisters seem to be growing. How long does this last? Any suggestions on how to treat the blisters? Any way to stop it or relieve the pain?

Hi, I kept my daughter fingers covered with bandaids during the day to keep them clean and let them air out when she went to sleep. It took a couple of weeks to heal, now her finger tips are all back to normal with the exception of one that has remained very dry and flacky just the tip of her finger.

I just had the same issue happen to me three days ago. I am now left with "raw" and aching fingers. Unfortunately the product I had purchased did not have any expiration date. I hope this company looks into their product quickly! 

My daughter had the same problem five weeks ago, it took about 3 weeks to heal properly, the skin is still dry now. She has used nail varnish remover many times in the past and not had a problem. Does anyone know which brands are likely to give problems?

I used Revlon and i had the same problem.

I had the same problem and the itching would not go away. Dont spend money on stuff over the counter you might  think will work cuz it won't. Beleave me, I tried everything. I did the lotion, I bought and tried the calamine lotion, Didn't work, I bought and tried cortizone lotion and didn't work. I searched and searched on line for help and didn't find noughthing useful. The only thing that releaved the itching was I held a ice pack on my hands. So I broke down and went to the clinic and they said it was a chemical recaction. They put me on steriod medican for a week and zyrtec. After 2 days the itch went away.

So now on to remove nail polish I do this method..

1. Pour warm water into a bowl

2. Stick all of your fingers into the bowl, and let them soak for two  minutes.

3. Spray deodorant spray onto your nails. Rub the deodorant into your nails with  a soft cloth.

4. Use your fingernails to scrape off your nail polish.

5. Soak a cotton ball with 99 percent isopropyl alcohol. Rub it onto your fingernails to remove any last bits of nail polish.Read more: 

The site below is were I learned this method. 

Read more:  How to Remove Fingernail Polish Without Remover | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6226066_remove-fingernail-polish-remover.html#ixzz2LwDUv2mf

I had this problem and had to go to urgent care.  I have no insurance but I had to go because I was in college and needed help.  They gave me numbing cream and pain shots and pills.  I had to go back again.  All of my finger peeled up to the middle of my fingers.  I took pictures of them as they got worse.  It took quite a while for them to be normal again.  I contacted cutex and I had to send in the upc and lot #  with my bills.  They fully refunded me for my bills.   Nothing for the pain and suffering but I was happy to get my money for the medical bills.  They said it was a chemical burn.   Hope this help.

Michigan

ALOE VERA gel! make sure you get the 100% kind, not the green stuff with a bunch of other ingredients. Aloe is well known for it's ability to heal burns. Also try, pure 100% shea butter {it should be in solid form to be pure}. You can melt it down a bit to make it easier to use. Good luch!

Try benadryl allergy tablets, soak nails in vinagar, or get vitamen a & d ointment to massage into your nails... should heal soon. Had same problem, also i take knox gelatin which makes your nails, skin and hair very healthy! One packet per day, with giant glass of water! and can also take vitamen D tablets otc. hope this helps...