My father has been fighting with diabetes for almost a decade now. I must say that he strictly obeys doctors orders regarding the recommended way of life. Anyway, he has some new problems now. It seems that he has developed Restless Leg syndrome, as a result of diabetes progression. He was told that Mobic could be effective. Will Mobic help in treatment of Restless Leg Syndrome?

Mobic is a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug which means that it helps the patient with stopping the process of inflammation wherever it occurs. Still, I know that people that want to use this drug has to inform the doctor if they are suffering from some illnesses (including diabetes). This medication deals with pain also and I guess that it could be helpful. Still, you should ask a professional about this problem. Do not let your father take something without a prescription.

I am in my 60's and being a former sufferer of painful restless legs, and a "victim" of harsh side effects of mobic/meloxicam (which IMHO is a strong and very effective drug, but not one I would want to use as a permanent solution), I would personally suggest trying out a purely nutritional solution first: a supplementation of calcium (maybe 1.5 times the RDA at the start, then back off), balanced with vitamin D3 and magnesium (at least the RDA - I'd avoid magnesium oxide in favor of mag. glycinate or citrate, as mag. oxide is likely to cause diarrhea - it's actually used in some OTC laxatives as an "active ingredient"!). Please check with your father's doctor first.

A couple of days after I started a regimen of calcium, D, and magnesium supplements, my restless legs were GONE! It was like a miracle! I use calcium carbonate, though many suggest that this is not well-absorbed - it works for me! (It seems to work best if taken with meals or something acidic like Vitamin C.) But there are other inexpensive options out there, such as calcium citrate. [NB: I am not a doctor and don't claim to have any special knowledge of medicine or "the magic bullet" - this is simply my personal experience I'm sharing with you, hoping it may be of some help. Also, my experience may be the wrong advice for your father as I am hypoglycemic - the opposite of diabetic.]