Hello everyone. Something came up, and I need to leave my pets for the weekend. My sister and her boyfriend will take care of my home and they will look after my pets. They know a lot about dogs, but they don’t know absolutely nothing about cats. They don’t know how to prepare food for my cat, what to give her, how to feed her…. I really want to make it easier for them, so I have decide to buy some quality, low protein cat food. I don’t know what to choose, so I was hoping that you can help me.

What is the best quality, cheap, low protein cat food that you can recommend me?

Hello.

If I may, why do you want to give your cat low-protein food? I saw on this board that this type of diet is recommended for cats with kidney disease. Is this the case with your cat as well?

Even so, I am not very convinced it is a good idea to give low-protein foods to sick cats. I just posted that vet told my friend to feed her cat (who also had kidney problems) dry food with smaller percentage of phosphate.

A little search on web came back with the name of Oscar cat foods brand which has great reviews for cats with renal problems. Anyway, look for foods with higher percentage of rabbit meat or poultry (proteins from these types of meat are easier for digestion to cats with renal problems).

Hey. I don’t think that cheap, low protein cat food is a good idea, but, I don’t know, maybe you haven’t told us something more about this.

I have a cats and I don’t give them low protein food, not even when they are sick. So, I really would like to give you advice about this, what is the best quality, cheap low protein cat food, but I can’t, because I am not using this food at all. Maybe sometimes, but when I do, I don’t have any special brands that I am using. Tell us, is your cat sick, is there any special reason why you want to give her low protein cat food?

I suppose that your cat has a kidney disease even though you didn’t mention that. I believe that is the reason you want to buy low protein foods for your cat. 

This low protein diet is very good for cats with kidney disorders. All vets are suggesting it because it really showed nice results. 

I think you should also pay attention to the quality of the foods you are giving to your cat. The quality of the proteins is maybe more important than quantity. 

My recommendation: Purina Veterinary Diets NF Kidney Function Feline Formula and Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Feline Renal LP.

Hello all. Unfortunately, kidney disease is very common in cats, especially senior cats. My cat has it too. :/

Fortunately, she is a fighter and she is still cheerful as she was before. I really like the attitude my cat has. Also, I give her just high quality canned foods and I try to make her homemade meals at least 3 times a week.

Our favorite brands are Hills Prescription Diet k/d and Iams Veterinary Formula Renal Plus. Both of these products are made especially for cats with kidney disease and are low protein foods.In case your cat has this disease too, I hope she will fight against it just like my cat does. ;)

Hey everyone. She had the kidney disease…well, not so long time ago. When I went to see the vet, he told me that now she is cured, but that she needs still to eat low protein cat food, just in case, for a while – two or three months. I totally forgot to mention this to you. I think that they won’t prepare food for my cat, so I want to find the best solution. This is why I want to give her quality, low protein food.

Is this wrong? Because, I really don’t think that this one week will harm her :/ Right? 

Don’t worry; you can go with low-protein food without a fear. It will help your cat deal with her renal issues.

I can advise you to ask your sister to cook her foods (of course, if she has enough time). She needs to put her on combination of minced chicken and rice which reduce proteins and phosphorous to minimum. That is a great combination for your cat’s kidney disease.

If your sister don’t have time to cook for your cat, you can tell her to go with any of the food other users here mentioned in previous posts. All these brands have positive reviews from cat’s owners.

It is ok to use it for two days, but it is the best that you ask nicely your sister to cook for your cat those two or three days. I mean, if she knows a lot about the dogs, I am pretty sure that she cooks for her dog or dogs, together with her boyfriend. If she can’t (but I can’t believe so), you can cook a day before you go – it won’t be old, I guess. Also, you can listen to recommendation of those people. Don’t worry, kidney disease is healed, and I don’t believe that this will be a huge problem at all. Your kitty will be just fine :)

Hello. Luckily, I don't have experience with my cats and special diets, kidney diseases etc. But my friend's mum did and I remember that she was buying all kind of different food in order to find what her cat loves the best and what works the best for that condition. Anyway, she was so happy when she found some cheap low protein cat food and she bought immediately huge amount of that, like dozens of bags. But... eventually she had to throw that because it was really bad for the cat. She didn't have a choice but to go back to preparing food. So please, be extra careful with those!

Hi all. I am about to start feeding my cat with low protein food. He doesn’t have problems with his kidneys or any health problems whatsoever.

But I’m afraid he might develop some problems  since he is a bit overweighed.

I want him to lose at least 4 pounds at the beginning. He is a very large cat and I think he could lose even 8 pounds and still he wouldn’t be a skinny cat.

I am feeding him with Royal Canin. I don’t know if this brand is available on American market, but I am loving it. And it’s not expensive if you consider the quality.