Hey everyone,

I went to see my vet this morning and his ordination was closed. When I arrived, there was this lady who arrived at the same time with her cat. She asked if I knew when was he opening. When I asked her about her cat, she said that she has renal failure.

We went to get some coffee afterwards and we talked for about an hour. She was scared since she doesn’t know anything about renal failure and she recently found out that her cat has it. I promised to call her when I get some info about it.

So for the start, what can you tell me about cat’s renal failure stages?

Hi Mia,

As far as I know, there are 5 stages of renal failure in cats.

In the first stage the kidneys are functioning properly, but there are other things which indicate that your cat has kidney problems. In the second stage, the kidneys are still functioning pretty good, their functionality is minimally reduced. Renal failure is best treated in these two stages.

In the third phase, you have moderately reduced kidney functionality, and in fourth and fifth stage, you have severely reduced kidney functionality. The fifth stage is the final stage. The treatment in the last two stages is possible, but has a small percentage of success.

Hey guys,

Yes, there are 5 stages of renal failure in cats.

Kidney failure can be treated in all of these phases, but the possibility of succeeding in the treatment lowers as the stages progress.

Treatment is getting slightly different as the stages move, but it is best to treat it in the two starting phases. When it gets to fourth phase, the chances for your cat to survive are pretty much small.

Kidney failing is a major killer in cats. I’d suggest to her that, if only one of her cat’s two kidneys is failing, she goes for the surgery to remove the one kidney that is failing.

Hello. I have to agree. There are 5 different stages of renal failure in dogs. I think that I don’t need to tell you much about stages because others did it. And it is really helpful and nice explained. When this happens it is really important to find good way of the treatment. With the expiation of kidney transplatation unfortunately there are no potential treatment to cure those five stages. Of course, there are some treatments that can help you reduce the symptoms and maybe to slow the progression of this disease. Dietary change is one of them. Good luck!

Hi. I think that this is a disease that you can see in older cats, not in young cats. Maybe there is an exception but I don’t know about them. To be honest with you I was sure that there are four stages of this disease but now I am finding out that there are five. I was totally wrong all the time because I was missing one.

I know that in first stage kidneys of your cat works between 30 and 99%. In second stage that is between 30 and 40 percent.  In third stage it means that your cat’s kidney work with 15 to 25 of capacity and in 4 stage with less of 15 percent of capacity.

Hey everyone,

Sadly, they are right, Mia. There is no cure for this at the moment so the only thing she can do with the treatment for renal failure is to endure her cat's life a bit: to make the kidneys fail slower.

There are five stages, as they all told you, and the treatment makes sense only in the first three stages. Even in the third stage its positive effects are questionable.

As her cat gets in the fourth stage, she is, sadly, going to start dying slowly, because she can no longer do anything to help her cat. Tell her that she needs to be with her cat in her final moments.

Hi everyone,

I feel sorry for this woman's cat. I wouldn't wish this to anyone.

I sometimes get lost in thoughts, like, medicine in the world has progressed so fast and so far and we still have no treatment for stuff like this. Or maybe we do, but...? I don't know.

Five stages, with the first stage being the one in which renal failure is barely noticeable, and the last stage, in which your cat isn’t going to live very long.
I agree that you should tell her to just be with her cat. Love in her last moments will mean so much to her cat and that is the only thing that she can actually do: be there for her.

Hey. I was totally sure that there are four stages but I do believe that this fifth stage is when cat’s kidney do not work anymore. Well, that is why I would not call this a stage.
But it is fifth stage. This stage means that the cat’s kidney are at the point of failure and there is nothing that you can do about it. Treatment is almost impossible.
You know when your cat gets to the third stage it is really hard to treat her. My cat Thomas died because of this. He was not in pain but when he was diagnosed with renal failure, he was in third stage.