I have heard bits and pieces about people using straight zinc oxide as a sunscreen. I do not know much about this but am wondering if anyone can enlighten me. Why do people do this? What are the benefits of zinc oxide as opposed to other sunscreens? Is this done because it is considered to be the more natural option or are there compelling arguments in favor of using zinc oxide as a sunscreen?

With summer coming up, I am sure I am not the only person interested in sunscreen options! I hope somebody has something to say on this topic. 

As far as I've heard, though the sunscreen products you can buy in the supermarket are all FDA approved of course, many of them are proven endocrine disruptors. Who knows what they can do in the long term? ZInoc oxide as a sunscreen is completely safe, and was in fact the original sunscreen out there. The only reason people didn't like it is it made them look white. Now with more advanced formulas that is no longer an issue and you can stay safe from the sun and from chemicals while using a zinc oxide sunscreen, and still look good while you are doing it!

Celebrity

Ah, zinc oxide sunscreen! Many alternative health folks consider zinc oxide sunscreens to be the sole safe option on the market. Given that it protects against both UVA and UBV rays and doesn't otherwise contain carcinogenic components, they have a point: not only does zinc oxide protect against the sun better than many current options on the market, it also doesn't contribute your cancer risk via a "backdoor". It does stain your clothes. Many people don't like that. In addition, it also needs to be applied frequently. Apart from that though, a big plus is that it really does work.

Rosie

Zinc oxide makes a great sunscreen, which is why you can find it in just about every sunscreen, really. It also helps heal sunburn, other burns and other kinds of damage more quickly than they otherwise would and helps keep your skin from looking oily and even works as an acne treatment according to some. You have people who actually use zinc oxide as an all round facial powder, which I have not tried but I am thinking about it. It is pretty versatile stuff!!!

My impression was that zinc oxide is one of the number one most common ingredients in modern sunscreens and that there's nothing unusual about this unless you wanna get into the realm of ordering your own zinc oxide and making your own sunscreen with that from scratch, something we talked about last month here I seem to remember. If zinc oxide is an ingredient you trust in anyways, it is hardly difficult to find a sunscreen that caters to your needs and protects you from the sun's rays while keeping your skin safe from other harmful influences at the same time, kwim?

Zinc oxide is such a mainstream sunscreen option that it isn't even funny... Of course few people really know what is in the products they use as cosmetics on a daily basis so when they hear an ingredient name such as zinc oxide and see it presented on natural type blogs and such, they may think that these people just invented the wheel. But they didn't. This comes with the fortunate side effect that we sure know that zinc oxide is an effective sunscreen. It was in the first sunscreens even made, but modern ones are better in that they don't show as much of that notorious pasty creamy taint on the skin when you are using it.

Zinc oxide rocks! Besides providing you with the broad spectrum sun protection you need to protect your skin safely, it also combats acne, contributes to faster wound healing (including acne scars!) and fights inflammation while tightening the skin, something I am pretty sure is meant to make you look younger in the long run. You get zinc oxide in powders and lotions too so there is a lot to choose from there. Definitely read up on it before you buy it but I do not think you will be disappointed with this very versatile skin care ingredient. 

Thank you for the very many replies here. I appreciate them! Since so many people seemed to indicate that zinc oxide is a very mainstream sunscreen, I did some further research. It turns out that titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are two of the most trusted sunscreen ingredients and that one or the other will probably have been in basically every sunscreen I have used! That still leaves me wondering why you would buy a powder rather than a ready made sunscreen from a store though? What are the advantages supposed to be and do the straight out powders work as well as commercial products?