Was chatting with other moms at my kids' sports class today, and one mentioned something about natural sunscreen, forget what now? Something that's also used to treat burns in any case, made with all natural ingredients. So, because it is also for burns, I don't doubt that it would prevent/quickly treat sunburn, but my real concern is whether it would also protect from UV damage???? I often break out in reaction to normal sunscreens so I am interested in finding out more but at the same time also have a health dose of skepticism. I would love to hear your thought on natural sunscreen!

For natural sunscreens that do protect from UVA and UVB rays, you may want to check out these:

• Tropical Sands All-Natural SPF 30 sunscreen lotion
  • Purple Prairie SunStuff natural sunscreen
  • Nature's Gate mineral sportblock SPF 20
  • Jason Mineral Sunblock
  • Loving Naturals Sunscreen SPF 30+
  • Goddess Garden natural sunscreen
  • Earth's Best Mineral Sunblock

I am not sure what the people you spoke to were talking about, but these sunscreens and sunblocks contain all natural ingredients, some of them all organic as well, and will work for you. Different people have different definitions of the word "natural", of course, but these all fall into the category of "no synthetic stuff". 

Celebrity

What is up with the sunscreen topics?

Oooh... warmer weather is here! People — to protect yourself effectively from the sun's harmful rays, you need to wear sunscreen in winter as well as in summer. You may not get burned in winter but the sun is still doing your skin some serious damage. Just mentioning it. 

Zinc oxide, the main component of most natural sunscreens, protects well against both UVA and UVB rays, and contains no dangerous chemicals that may be carcinogenic in themselves. As such, this is really the obvious choice for anyone natural and safety minded! Modern zinc oxide sunscreens aren't noticeable on skin either, though they do stain clothes. 

Rosie

There's natural and natural, you know? Rosie would make her own stuff from scratch. Me? Not unless it is really easy and I am sure it is better than something I could buy in a shop... For instance making my own zinc oxide sunscreen is not something I'd do. I did read, after recently being a Green People (UK brand I think) sunscreen that Isoamyl p-methoxycinnamate, a natural UV block, is safer than the more often used Octyl methoxycinnamate, which can mess with your hormone production apparently. Of course I want to be safe... which is why I am using a sunscreen in the first place, so better safe than sorry in that department.

I have seen it claimed that 75% of all commercial sunscreens are TOXIC!!!

I have no idea whether that is true or whether it's just natural-hippie-types conspiracy thinking. Someone please tell me if this was true beyond a doubt and clinically tested, these sunscreens would surely be banned from being sold already? Confused. Sunscreen should protect you not harm you. I am not sure if so called natural sunscreens work either. I would appreciate concrete suggestions on which brand to buy and why.

Celebrity

Zinc oxide concretely absolutely does work as a sunscreen that protects from UVA and UVB rays. Note, however, that this does not translate into the possibility of baking in he sun in a bikini/swimming trunks all day without any consequences. You need to be diligent about applying and reapplying it everywhere in accordance with the instructions, and you still need to have a good amount of common sense on how much time to really spend in the sun. Staying out of the sun during the hottest hours of the day is generally advisable. Covering your body with clothes and a hat also helps. The son is still a danger, nothing offers perfect protection. 

Rosie

If you are not sure whether natural sunscreens really work, do research for yourself, I say. I heard about zinc oxide when I became interested in natural sunscreens and found that it protects from a whole lot more than "just" the sun: anti-inflammation, anti-aging, wound-healing, zinc oxide has all of these properties and this than leaves you wondering where else you could possibly find something else as good as this. I didn't, personally. Zinc oxide most certainly protects from UV damage to answer your question. 

Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are apparently the two physical sunscreens that form a natural barrier that protects your skin against UV rays with the longest history of use. They are proven to work well as broad spectrum sunscreens, and the newer formulations no longer leave a noticeable white layer on your skin! Either of these two ingredients nearly inevitably find themselves in any sunscreen you will ever buy in a store. This then makes me think all sunscreens are essentially natural. Not that I understand the tendency to choose things just because they are natural, but anyway, these two ingredients most definitely work.