Celebrity

Some sunscreens are zinc oxide based, offering a more natural and possibly safer approach to protection from UV rays. Now, I was wondering, would it be possible to just dab some zinc oxide powder onto your face, perhaps over makeup while wearing it, to act as a sunscreen and perhaps also provide a more finished look?

This just occurred to me, but I know nothing about that. If anyone who has any experience with zinc oxide powder happens to be reading this post, I would love to hear your input. It sounds like an easy solution. 

Rosie

Oh no, don't use the powder on its own due to the free radicals you'll be exposing your skin to. You can make your own zinc oxide sunscreen though and there are "recipes" on the internet that will tell you exactly how to do that as well. Look it up and you will find plenty. You may also try to look for zinc oxide sunscreens you like. Many people are fans of Eco for instance. In addition to that you can use a mineral powder as well, to get the finish you were after.

I have heard of people doing that and I don't see the problem. It is also good as a powder to sprinkle in your shoes to stop smelly feet (which I suffer from, especially in summer) for instance. I've bought it on Amazon before and that is where I saw people talking about using zinc oxide as a facial powder, but they're also talking about it as antibacterial and a sunscreen of course. I've never heard that it is in any way damaging so the comment above really surprised me.

Making your own zinc oxide sunscreen is easy! Here's how to do it:

- 25 per cent zinc oxide powder
- 30 per cent moisturiser
- 35 per cent foundation of your choice
- 10 per cent oil according to personal preference, such as jojoba
- a few drops of poly 80

This works best if you use a cheap blender (get them at the Lidl sometimes) that you will use only for making cosmetics.

GL! :)

Thanks, that actually looks like a worthwhile way of making your own sunscreen. I assume that the major draw would be it's cheaper, is that right? I'm wondering what kind of coverage zinc oxide would provide in terms of SPF then? You know anything by that by any chance? And how much does it cost you to make a batch of sunscreen this way, also how long would it last? Hope I'm not being a pain here, I'm quite interested in this so hope you can answer my questions.

With so many good sunscreens on the market, both in the higher end price ranges and cheaper ones, I just do not understand why someone in this day and age, this BUSY day and age, would go to the lengths of making their own sunscreen when those with the exact ingredients they are interested in, like zinc oxide, are available commercially. Those sunscreens are tested, but how about those you cook up in your kitchen? How do you even know they work for sure? I wouldn't do this.