Hi guys

I'm about to go on vacation and I just prefer the paler/emo look apart from a wish to never get any kind of skin cancer. How can I avoid getting a suntan? Will using a high sun protection factor be enough or do I need to stay out of the sun altogether? If drastic measures like that are not needed, then what else can I do, like wish sun screen is best? I live in a place where it's usually gloom and doom (Ireland) and I don't really have realistic expectations of how fast I would tan in Thailand. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

That's easy: stay out of the sun. If you are going in the sun anyway, perhaps wear long sleeved clothes and a hat or at least use a sun screen. Does sunscreen completely prevent a tan? I don't know. I don't think it does. I don't think getting a tan as such is dangerous though, it is really sun BURN that you want to be watching out for and you can definitely do that by staying out of the sun during the very hottest hours of the day. These vary from country to country but you can look this up. Just go swimming after it cools down a bit and the sun starts setting and you will definitely be fine. Still use a sunscreen though.

My husband is from India and his female relatives have some stuff to say about preventing tanning that you may like to try out. I personally do not care whether I tan or not so have never tried them myself but am still fascinated by the tips!

- Make a mixture of saffron and milk cream. Place the paste all over your body two or three times a week.
- They also use masoor dal, which is a side dish with lentils, together with aloe vera to prevent tanning.
- Almond juice can make your skin lighter as well.
- Apply lemon and honey.

I hope that helps some and let me know if you decide to try this out :)

Celebrity
That is interesting! I wonder if those things really work? I am pale as well, part Scottish and part Scandinavian, and I do not tan at all easily despite having dark hair. I have come to accept this part of myself too, rather than trying to get a tan just because that is what society considers pretty. However, I do use honey and lemon for general health purposes as a facial mask and know lemon has the potential of reducing hyperpigmentation, which I had under my eyes and which did get better thanks to the honey and lemon. Lactic acid, which is in milk, also has brightening benefits. I wonder about all the other things though.

Rosie

I really don't understand why you would go to a place like Thailand where most people go to lay on the beach and get a tan when you don't want a tan. Ant Arctica would have been a better bet for someone like you. Anyway, yes you do still tan when you use sun screen. No doubt about it. A tan itself isn't a sign of danger of melanoma or anything. If you apply around SPF 30 every two hours depending on your skin color, you will do all you can to protect your skin, if you also avoid the hottest, brightest hours of the day. Who cares if you tan? You'll look healthy!

Wow, this has been a bit of a weird thread. I do understand some of the replies because the question seems odd. In short though, the way to stay safe from the sun is indeed by wearing a high factor sunscreen, though whether SPF 50 is necessary or even extra-special effective is still very much not known. Staying out of the sun is also an option for some people some of the time, and of course covering up is also an option. To be fair (pun intended, LOL) I have no idea whether sunscreen will actually prevent tans. I did see special sunscreens that are meant to encourage tanning in the store the other day, which I thought was interesting. They were SPF 20 and oil based. Anyway, my recommendation to you would be to not buy those if you do not want a sun tan. :)

Yeah, exactly. The fact is some people tan more easily than others. If you don't tan easily, there's those tanning oils you can try out, but if you tan too easily, the only thing you can do is cover up and stay out of the sun, methinks... could be wrong of course and it could be that lemon juice and honey really prevent a tan like someone here says but I don't think so, you know? LOL, the best way to avoid a tan if you are that worried is just don't go on holiday to warm and sunny places. Iceland is beautiful, LOL.