I am unrealistic to think that because I have quite dark skin, I only need SPF 20 for my face? A makeup counter employee told me I need to be using SPF 35, which I had never heard of before. I even thought I was overdoing it by using the SPF 20 but ok, they say it keeps you young. 

What is the verdict? Is SPF 20 enough for me? I do tan very quickly and have never burned in my life. What do u say and what do u do if u have skin like mine, so skin that is quite dark naturally but also tans quickly?

In short, the answer to this question is "no", and for several reasons. SPF 20, usually found in a normal moisturizer with that extra added bonus, may actually lure you into thinking that you are protected from the sun whereas you are not, not really, among other things because it stops being active after a few hours. I'd go for using any day cream you like and then adding an actual sun screen of between SPF 30 and 50. SPF 20 may be fine if you're just going from your car to your office or something, but usually people think, "oh, I have that SPF on, I can stay out in the sun for longer". No so.

If I'm completely honest, I do not use any facial sunscreen, ever. I have heard that this is the recommendation now but I live in a country that doesn't get much sun and I have never burned in my life. I simply don't see the point. If anyone wants to go ahead and convince me to use it by giving me reasons, I'm willing to think about it. Honestly it sounds like a lot of added hassle though. I don't spend much time outside in my sunless city anyway.

Actually, many derms would say that an SPF of 15 is good enough for most people in temperate climates on most days, for the face. It is when you are planning to spend lots of time, hours, out in the open that you benefit of an SPF of 30. Darker skinned people also have some level of natural sun protection built in. So if you are using an SPF 20 most days and you're not spending lots of time outside, you should be more than fine. You are doing more than most people are doing to take care of their skin!

Thank you!!! That makes a lot of sense and is in line with what I previously believed. Most days, I spend less time outside that I would ideally like to, even in summer. I have never burned in my life like I said before, and I do work full time indoors, so well, time outside is reserved for the weekends, and then only if it happens.

I will continue with the SPF 20 and quit worrying about it then, and perhaps use SPF 30 only if I plan to spend lots and lots of time outside. Thanks!

Yes, SPF 20 is enough for you, especially now that you have clarified you do not spend very much time outside. You say you have dark skin but not how dark. Black people of African descent have a natural SPF in their skin of about 13, which goes a long way, while white people only have a natural built-in SPF of about 3 or 4. The lighter you are and the more time you spend outside, the higher the sun protection factor you need. In any case, SPF 20 for the face is more than enough for most people of any skin color. 

So, I got really light skin but I have the same question about sunscreen on a daily basis. Sun, we ain't got it right now. But I've heard that you need to wear sunscreen even on those really overcast, dark and gloomy days. So my questions relate to that, really, not just how to adjust the SPF you use to your own skin colour but also to the climate in which you live. I strongly assume that people in Australia have to wear stronger sunscreens than we do here, LOL. But which is the right one for my skin and what exactly is the difference between UVA and UVB? I think not all sunscreens cover for both, right?

When I was showing signs of hyperpigmentation on parts of my face, I did some browsing around the internet and I found out that yes, I needed to be using a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 with both UVA and UVB protection even though my skin, as darker skin, has a natural SPF of say around 13. Why play around? Now, I am happy to remember putting sunscreen on my face every day even when it's cloudy outside and I'm hoping this will prevent aging and skin cancer, as well as putting a stop to the hyperpigmentation,