Hi, I often hear that people with bipolar disorder are called crazy, but I don’t know why is that so. My aunt is bipolar and she is a little jumpy and energetic, but I would never call her crazy. Can anyone explain me?

Hi, there is a woman in my neighborhood who suffers from bipolar disorder. When I was a kid, I was afraid of her because I thought she was crazy. I was just a kid and I didn’t know what was wrong with her. All I could see is that she was often provocative, aggressive and euphoric. She got drunk many times, and I could hear her yelling and screaming. She also had the dark side, when she was depressed and calm. Once, when she was feeling this way, she tried to kill herself. I will never forget that picture-many people and ambulance in front of my building trying to safe her life. Now I know that her condition is called bipolar disorder, but I also understand why people call her crazy.

hey i'm bipolar and get called crazy alot...mostly kids call others crazy when they don't understand whats wrong with them...i have my ups and downs but i tought about suicide never tried it.....but i also can't controll my emotions so i get alittle werid if you bug me or piss me off to much...

Calling someone with any mental disorder crazy is quite ignorant. It's not crazy to be bipolar. It seems like an unstable way to be because you have a manic phase and a depressed phase. Most people are happy and hyper when they are manic and then are very much the opposite when depressed. Depression can also be brought on very suddenly for some bipolar (or manic) people. Just saying something offensive can make them very upset. And you may not notice other then them not acting energetic and happy all of the sudden. Sometimes this can also lead to an outbreak of crying or even aggressive behaviour. This is way people may use the term "crazy." On one side you (or they) can be very happy and then very suddenly be angry or upset.
It is true that if you know someone that is bipolar it's best to watch what you say. But don't treat them like a mental patient. They know right from wrong and are perfectly healthy individuals in all other respects. It's just easy to make them go from a manic phase to a depressed one. Just be kind to everyone and you've got nothing to worry about.

Besides if you called anyone crazy to their face (even without any disorders) they'll be pretty upset with you. And saying it behind their back is just reason for other people to think you're being petty. Just treat everyone kindly, and you'll get the same in return. No one is truly crazy.

liston wrote:

Because they do not understand what they go through.How would you cope with the fact that your brain is fighting against itself? I have a very good friend who is Bi-Polar. She keeps up with her meds and counseling. This is a must. Yes, she has bad days, but don't we all? Just because she gets angry does NOT mean she is crazy. We need to be a bit more understanding about this disease.

i get depressed but i also think i'm bipolar...back to the point people think there crazy because they dont know whats going on with the person ,like, how they cant controll it and it afects thier life and people dont know that

hoped that helped

Yeah...I'm called lazy all of the time. I have psychosis nos, which means that I am bipolar and something else.
It gets really bad when I get bored, I just feel really lazy. I found that taking away things that slow you down helps, like, t.v., junk food, lack of exercise, anti-social, and religion.

I don't know what it is, but, the thought of "hell" really freaks me out. People always telling you that you're going to hell cuz you're lazy is wrong.
I have some personality, now because I stay social, although alcohol is a weakness of mine. I noticed that music helps with depression.

I've become almost philosophical due to so much depression that it allows me to meditate for hours at a time. It's pretty kool. I now sort of like the fact that I have bipolar. It forces me to diet, eat healthy, and exercise. Plus, I can read people better!

I was diagnosed with bipolar 10 years ago. I tooks med first 2 years then came off meds when i became pregnant and after birth i began using drugs which intensifed my symptoms of bipolar disorder. Now I have been clean for 130 days and been back on lithum, lamactil which i am disconting because i developed a rash and restoril for sleeping. I keep having my lithium dose increased each month. Where do I go from here, I feel like marijuana helped more at times. People whom which are around me have descriped me as being high irritable, abrasive in conversation and down right mean at times. I still feel bouts of depression and family and friends ask me whats wrong and I dont have an answer for them so its like they give up on me. I want to live a normal life but feel like I dont even know what a normal life is anymore. I attend college and single mother of an 8 year old son that receives no support. Anyone have any advise for me?