hi,

Im a first timer, but have been reading lots of things here and enjoy learning from it all. One of my thing is sciatica and the negative problems that I have with it and what Ive tried to help fix the issues. First off I was diagnosed probably 15 years ago with sciatica. I have the definate pain that radiates from the lower back, across the hips and down sometimes both legs at any given time when I stand or walk for any short period of time , sometimes as long as 20 minutes, but thats my limit before the pain starts and becomes excruciating.

I woke up  about 5 months ago with a totally numb foot and I didnt know it as I felt no tingling sensation as you would with your foot falling asleep. When I woke up and went to take a step onto my left foot , it would not lift up and I landed basically directly right on on the top of my foot, with all my weight, and of course ended up with a fracture on the top of my foot. I found this numbness to happen 2 more times since. Two days ago I again found a totally numb feeling on the top of my foot part way up the front of my leg. From what Im reading, sciatica can cause this.

I have already spoken to a surgeon regarding my low back pain, prior to all this numbness feeling going on. He of course as any good surgeon would, suggested that I try first staying on my pain medication for as long as I can tolerate it as any back surgery can sometimes backfire and cause a lot more problems. He did not say this , but im assuming that was what he was getting at. And I didnt get the feeling from him that my bone degeneration was all that severe. And of course it could be a lot worse from what I heard from his other patients who spoke of the fact that they couldnt lift their legs and such. As I  spoke to some of his patients who had the surgery and all 3 claimed he is a miracle worker as they are in no pain anymore. The surgery basically required two flat steel pins that helped to hold up the spine in the correct position, thus relieving the pain. And also a few months of careful, no moving type recovery and that would be difficult for me, being I also suffer from a nervous, got to move continuously, anxious type of personality.(which Im also about to work on through hypnotherapy)

I guess my question is, should I see him again to go over the numbness issues or just leave well enough alone and be careful to make sure my foot is awake before standing up? The last thing I want, is to make my problem worse than it is, due to having unessesary surgery. Also I will go see a physiotherapist to try and work on the low back pain as this may help also. And I will look up some excersises I can do to relieve the pain. Ive already spent 7 years with a chiropractor, and now have developed arthritis in both my neck and lower back, and I fear it was due to all the cracking of those bones.  I have also tried some exercises, (which I can never seem to remeber to do, as dedication to my pain, is not my strong suite). Pain medication is already known to be the wrong way to live, but it has been a quality of life giver to me, for the last 5 years and I take it as prescribed for the last 5 yrs too without increasing it. so Im sticking with it until I can find a more permanant solution. If anyone has other things that would help, please feel free to give advice I love good advice lol. Thanks

Hi, just a note to tell you that while you are on pain management it can sometimes be better to seek a physical therapist instead of going to a chiroproctor. 
  At Physical therapy they teach you things to strengthen and stretch the sciatic nerves and so these things are more rare, and less debilitating. I swore for years my chiro could fix it and it did feel really good, but physical therapy actually began to correct the underlying issues that caused both the numb feet and shooting pains.. (and no longer on meds is a good thing.. the meds will become less and less effective and mostly they can feel lke addictiont to the feeling of medication, not actually fixing the pain. not to mention years of these meds or overuse can casue kidney failure..)  i hope it is feeling better, as it shows I am repling nine months later, but do hope you seek out a PT to help you get it straight... 

I was beginning to think i was the only person to walk on top of foot and break bones!! I had back surgery 1998, l5-s1, because i had no insurance by the time i got surgery my nerve had been severed.my right leg and foot became numb 3 years before surgery.I was crawling on hands and knees in pain! I had a good 10 years after surgery, then all hell broke loose, scar tissue has grown where disc was removed. i am down 3rd time breaking same bones over again. I never lost my limp or numbness after surgery and i have no reflex in ankle . what seems so weird to me is after all these years i am walking on top of foot full weight landing.sad part because i had surgery i got scar tissue and my doc told me it will grow back 10 fold if they try to remove it. I have many other problems with my back to many to list. So after my 3rd break i now slowly put my foot down, take 1 slow step. numbness is weird when you know its numb but don't feel its numb. BTW I have no regrets getting surgery, I was able to get out of bed and walk again and live and work a good 10 years. But I warn everyone, when it comes to surgery you can become what I thought was the “small print” when my surgeon warned me what could happen years away!

and now i see i replied to a post over a year old!!!! thats ok i know i am not alone in the connection with back and breaking foot