2 weeks after my hemorrhoidectomy and I'm feeling much better. BM's are still painful, but no where near as bad as the first week, and I'm on no painkillers whatsoever. I can sit down for short periods before it begins to throb, the same with walking.

I still have a lot of blood after a BM, so cleanup still takes a while. I'm assuming this is normal so far as its not present at any other time.

There also seems to be a constant brown discharge 24/7. I'm not sure if this is normal or not? Any advice?

Hi Jeff: If you go too the top of this page and look under SEARCH, then punch this author name ctannur. This person and I had a couple of conversations about their ordeal and they are willing too answer anyone elses concerns.

So when you, I know 1st hand that this IS normal, and the brown discharge is too. But this person would be your best bet as too help you with your recovery. Good luck!

Yes, I had it for almost the full three weeks. I just recently stopped using a panty liner. I know other people it took a lot longer. Very normal though so dont worry too much.

Thanks, makes me feel much better.

4 weeks now today as it's still there and showing no signs of slowing down :-( I'm getting a little fedup now changing the liners 4 times a day. Not to mention that after a few hours I stink, it's kinda embarassing now. I'm just waiting for the first comment at work about the last time I showered.

:-( :-( I feel so bad for you hon! I was thinking of a way of making this part of the healing better for you. In a bag or something like that - a briefcase or a "man" purse ;-) Take a squirt bottle with you and a small bottle of hydrogen peroxide. Put in about 2 tablespoons of HP in the bottle and fille it with warm water. Squirt it over your bottom after going to the washroom and use toilet paper to dab the area dry. The HP is a cleanser and disenfectant, and if there are any little tears or things still healing, this will help that heal too. This will keep your area clean and fresh. And IF someone actually does say something, tell them straight what has happened and put them in their place. There's an old expression "monkeys smell their own first" and we always think we smell far worse than what everyone else thinks. And also you are SO conscious of everything going on with you.

Did your doctor mention to you about a sitz bath? It is the same idea, but it is an actual bath like thing that goes over your toilet and irrigates your rectum and entire area. This REALLY helps with healing and keeping the area clean. I know you can get them from local health care needs stores. I wish you luck and health! And positive thought that soon this will be a distant memory. Good luck hon!