I'm feeling SO much better - except for the dreaded BM. Wow - the pain is SO intense! I absolutely have to jump right into a hot bath to ease the pain. I have no idea what I'd do if I wasn't able to take a bath right away. It makes it difficult because I can't go to work if I need to soak my rear end after a BM! Not to mention the fact that it scares me to death to think of the next one. I had a BM around noon today and have spent most of the day recovering from it (and yes, eating well, fiber, stool softeners).

I can't imagine how some of the rest of you must feel with your surgeries - they were far more invasive than mine.

Hi Kristi: There are several of us talking about this on another link, and we can all help you with ideas etc. If you go to the top of this page and click on SEARCH and on the Author put bambi27 and press enter, you will see the posts that I've been on, and you will find a LOT of us talking about it OK? If you can't find it, let me know and I will DEFINITELY help you further. Don't get in a too hot bath though OK? Use a VERY warm bath with 3 cups of Epsom Salts in it. This will help draw out any infection and settle your bottom down. Also get a squirt bottle and put a tsp of Epsom salts in there and Hydrogen peroxide, shake it well and squirt the warm water after EVERY bathroom trip. Increase your oil intake such as Omegas, Flax and Evening of Primose Oil! Also Green Tea! Hope to talk to you some more on the other site, Good luck honey!

Hi Kristi,
My doc specificaly said NOT to use hydrogen peroxide around the anal area. He said warm water baths alone and that is what I did. I'm post 15 days and I'm doing great. I did jump in the shower after each BM the first 10 days after surgery to keep the area clean, but I did not use any harch soap. I was able to use mild baby liquid soap. This will prevent any irritants to cause itching which is just as bad as the pain. Now I take some feminine wipes in my purse in case I get the urge when I'm not home. The BM should get better every day. If they are getting worse or not better maybe you should see your doc and get Lidocaine ointment. That really did help on my 3rd post surgery to have the area numb before I had a BM. I used it for 5 days and it did really help. Good luck!

Hi Kristi,
I forgot to stress that an ice pack after each BM did wonders for me. I would sit half sideways on my recliner on a pillow and lay the icepack on my butt without directly sitting on it. I would leave it there for 1 hour or more on some occasions. Basically, I went from the shower to the recliner with an ice back after each BM. My doc said that I could use an icepack especially since I had mucosal tissue swelling protruding for the anus after the 1st BM. I had Grade IV hemorroids and that's why things were just swollen all over the place. Now I'm great. I know you will do great too!

Hi Rd! Can I ask why your doctor said no HP?!!

Also instead of a ice pack - which can hurt quite a bit depending on the pain level - but I used frozen Tucs pads! I put the pot in the freezer and those were FANTASTIC and they have the witch hazel in it and the anti inflamatory and itching properties in them. Also a misted panty liner put in the freezer is also an excellent pad - without the bulk.

As I stated before if go to the search part, there are several of us on there with different ideas!

I would be very interested to find out about the HP though! I know you can't use them when you are bleeding, but I and others have always been told to use that and Epsom salts and unscented products - like you also stated.

sincereley Bambi!

Hi Bambi,
Basically, the hydrogen peroxide from the drug store has other chemicals that can be harsh irritants to the lining of the intestine especially after surgery. He did not even allow me to dilute it in the sitz tub. When I saw the doc with the painful swelling tissue protruding from the anus at 3 days post surgery he said not to put any creams on the area, just lidocaine to help numb the pain. Since all the hemorroids had been removed (internal and external) he said that no tucks pads or anything should be place on the delicate post op tissue. I was lucky the recovery room nurse was so nice and gave me an extra ice bag the shape of a rectangle with a thick lining to take home. I would fill it up with ice and it would last for several hours with out leaking and it did not "burn" my butt. I had to postpone my 2 week followup (I didn't want to take the kids with me to the doc's.) and it's really going to be about 1 month since the surgery before I see the doc next week. I can't wait to see what the next step will be. Most of the swelling is gone,but there is one tiny area ( size of a peanut) that has not resolved since I saw him. It does not hurt, but it's more of a hygiene issue. I don't think it's a skin tag. It might just be a little bit of mucosal prolase from my 1st BM after surgery. He said it was definately not a hemorroid since all three columns had been removed. It's interesting to see all the different things that work for all of us. I'm just glad it wasn't as painful as I expected it to be.
Take care,
RD

RD, my doctor said the same thing as yours basically not to use anything - no creams, nothing in the bath. I even asked about a numbing cream and he prefers not to use it because it can delay the healing process. Luckily each day seems to get better so far - WHEW!!!!!!!!!

Hi Kristi and Rd: Isn't that interesting how different doctors state different things?! I wonder if it is about new procedures or information. The other people on the other sites, weren't told that, So I REALLY feel awkward now about giving advice! I know that it worked for myself and others, but your case rd sounds like a better outcome! I have even been told recently by a gynecologist even to use the HP and the Epsom Salts! So do you think it just depends on each case and to try different things. I don't think totally leaving an area - like Kristi has been told! And like you said Rd - thank goodness the recovery room nurse gave you an ice pack! I can't imagine NOT putting anything on such an inflammed and painful area! When you mentioned the "hygiene issue" THAT is the reason why I was told and others, to use the HP and Epsom as it TOTALLY cleans the area! And area which is virtually impossible to keep clean! So I don't know! I think all we can do is give out suggestions of what works for us, and then see if it works for that person, right? So good luck and healing and health to both of you! If you go on the other sites, you could add your input to that too - because each one of us has had different experiences, surgeries and outcomes.

Wait, just to be sure, can you tell me if you have been using a numbing agent or anything to help? I'm sure I'd rather prolong the healing process to take a normal BM than heal faster to be honest.

Hi evreryone. It's me, RDSA. I guess it's all relative. After the their day of surgery, I had tissue swelling protruding from my anus that was almost as big as my former hemorroids and that is where I percieved most of my pain was coming from. I could not sit sideways or lay comfortably. I felt that I did not really need to take Vicodyn but I did need some pain relief. So it's a trade off. The Lidocaine oitment and bags of ice and tylenol relieved the pain so well for me that 10 days post surgery I needed to get out of the house and took the kids to Disney. My doc could not believe it! For me, if I had continued to take Vicodyn narcotic I would have been a zombie with all of the other side effects: constipation, itchy all over and dizzy, bloated. At 28 days post surgery the doc said that I healed very well and the swelling is almost completey gone. I only used the Lidocaine for about 10 days.
Also, earlier I had explained that I had used baby liquid soap and let it run over the area after a BM in the shower. I felt that I needed to clean the area, BUT after consulting with my doc he said ABSOLUTELY NOT TO DO THAT! He said that only TAP Water and nothing else. He agreed with kristicat21 doc. Like I said earlier, there are little residual "tags " or areas of swelling that protrude from the anus. He said if they are still present 3 MONTHS after surgery he would excise them in the office if I want them off. In the mean time, I continue to keep my colon moving along. I switched from Metamucil to Konysyl. Eventhough it does not disolve a well as metamucil, it has twice as much fiber in 1 teaspoon than 1 tablespoon of the metamucil. Also, metamucil either is made with sugar or artificial sweetner. The other bulking agent does not have either.

Glad to hear you are making a recovery! I was talking to the other people about yours and kristicat had been told! 1 of the people were given Lidocane but that didn't help them! I think the more advice the merrier! Because what can work for one, might not work for another etc etc. I AM so surprised about not washing the area at all! But obviously it worked for you! That's what I love about this site, you learn so much and can pass your personal experiences onto others. Can I ask you something? Are you male or female? IF you are femaledid you have a vaginal trauma with your births? I have a theory and have been talking to others about it!

Hi guys, it's rdsa. I'm 43 and have had 2 vaginal deliveries. With my first kid 11 years ago I had a small vaginal tear that required a stitch or two. Otherwise I was Okay. My hemorroids started with the first pregnancy which at the time the OB/GYN gave me a prescription cream of some sort. I had gained 50 pounds and pressure of everthing caused the problem. I lost all the weight after the pregnancies, but over the past 11 years they just got worse until they were prolapsed grade IV that required surgery. I was not a condidate for the new ultrasound (HAL) procedure. At least, I was told that there would be no guarantee that it would work for me because of the extent of the hemorroids. I decided that I was not going to do this more than one time. The doc told me that the HAL is supposed to not be as painful as the traditional surgery where they excise all the pilars (hemorroid columns), but I rather have more pain once than less pain two times. Happy pooping! LOL

Hi! Thankyou for the information, my theory is about women - in particular - whom have traumatic vaginal births and thus pelvic and anal problems. The other people I have talked too - including myself - have had Stage 3 and 4 tears and suffered for years with hemorroids and suffered after surgery. I believe that when someone has a basically normal birth - such as yourself, they are more likely to heal with limited issues. Where as the women who had hard deliveries have had problems after problems, especially with healing and usually require follow up procedures and have fissures! I think it makes sense that this would be the case, as the vagina is right next to the anus! So they both go hand in hand. And I hazzard a guess that is why you were told to treat yours differently than we were told! Regardless, like I said previously, it is great to have different takes on it and for people to try different things to bring themselves relief.

That's really frustrating to hear that you weren't going to be a successful candidate for that surgery. I think your take on it makes more sense though and I totally agree with you. I'd rather have one bad painful surgery than two less painful ones. I don't know what they're thinking... :-)

I agree with healthnfitnessguy. I think that I would rather get it over with even if it's going to be more painful. I don't want to go through a lot of surgery. What else did your doctor tell you about HAL? I would like to learn more about it. Thanks a lot!