Hi, I have had the mirena coil in for 4 years now and apart from the usual settling down issues its been ok though unlike most women I have never stopped having periods on it though they got lighter. This month before my period was due I noticed my bust felt more tender than normal, which reminded me of my previous pregnancies but I ignored it as I know how reliable the mirena is. Then I came on as usual and had my normal 6 days of light bleeding at the right time and the sore bust went away however this is where normality ended for me. At the time my period would normally have tailed off to nearly nothing I went out shopping for the day and during the course of the day I felt what I can best describe as a period pain, low cramping. I was surprised so went to the loo and I was bleeding bright fresh blood reasonably heavy but after buying some pads could carry on with my day but had to change the pad twice. Once home (this saturday evening) the bleeding eased off which may be because I wasnt moving about so much and Sunday I took it easy too and the bleeding tailed off though I was still getting some pelvic twinges, sometimes more on the side but other times fairly central (womb area). I made an appointment to see my dr on Monday afternnoon (yesterday) About an hour before I was due to go the bleeding became very heavy with really dragging pelvic and lower back discomfort. I began passing clots and on one wipe I noticed something that looked more like tissue or a membrane. It was clear and stretchy and took some attempts to break it unlike a blook clot that dispersed easily. I got to the docs heavily padded and told him what I am telling you. He seemed non plussed. He felt my tummy which was tender and took my pulse and temp which was he said slightly raised. He said I should take a pregnancy test and prescribed me some anti inflamatories to reduce the bleeding. I took the test and it was negative. Does this mean I definately had not been pregnant. I was not sure how good it would be at being sure as with my son (now 19) I had a negative result until over a week after a missed period. If I wasnt pregnant what other causes could there be for such a sudden bout of bleeding and discomfort., and what other explanations are there for passing tissue. I had no smelly discharge so I think the dr ruled out infection on this basis despite the slight temperature and hence did not prescribe anitbiotics. I will go back in a few days and still am bleeding now but not so heavy but feeling really stressed about what might be wrong with me and would appreciate others input.

many thanks

I'm just wondering if you found out what the cause for your bleeding was. I had Mirena inserted 9 months ago and had the 'expected' bleeding etc. for the first few months. My periods have just started to become regular and then about a week and a half after my last period I had a sudden gush of blood and then heavy bleeding for a day (bright red), I had mild cramping and didn't think anything of it until yesterday (3 days after the bleeding) when I passed similar clearish, slightly brown, stretchy membrane-like pieces (it was not a blood clot - not bright red). I'm not sure whether I should be seeing my Dr. or not. Another thing (I don't know if it's related - I had an MRI the week before with a contrast injection).

I also am on Mirena. I had the normal bleeding early after it was inserted and have become more regular over the past three years. Just this week, I too started to get some really heavy bleeding after my normal light bleeding had, I thought, come to an end. Not sure what to make of it. I actually have had clots come out, which hasn't happened since the beginning of Mirena. I checked to make sure it was still in there and it was. I go to the doctor next Monday for my annual, so I'll ask her what she thinks. Just wondering if either of you found anything else out.

hi, i have been struggling with something similar myself, and searched what seemed like the entire internet without any success. background information; mirena inserted in feb 09, for contraception and control of heavy periods without any other problems. textbook settling down time, and settled to very light periods. was feeling quite smug. however, in september i had 8 days of extremely heavy bright red bleeding with clots and flooding in embarrasing and public places (!) saw my GP who prescribed me norethisterone (to temporarily stop the bleeding and allow me to resume normal life) and made me an urgent referral to gynae outpatients. have just had my gynae appointment and thought i would make a post in case the information i got might be helpful to someone else. the gynae said that my mirena coil had slipped within my uterus, which meant that the whole top half was working as normal (ie heavy periods again) as the hormone effect of the mirena was localised to the bottom part. there is an outside chance it could be some other simultaneous problem and she has booked me in for a hysteroscopy at the beginning of november. she also advised me that in this situation there could be a reduction of the contraceptive effect and advised 'other means' of contraception. i will post again after the surgery with an update. (must add i had to push past the GPs reaction that 'these things happen', and ended up having a private gynae appointment to bring the wait time to less then 5 weeks).

hi again, i had the hysteroscopy in november as planned. the coil had slipped, and, despite the mirena's suppressant effect on endometrial growth, i had also managed to grow a 5cm polyp, that was not present at hysteroscopy in february, and this was the source of the sudden heavy bleeding. all a bit odd. anyway, had polyp removed, and mirena replaced. feeling perfectly well and healthy again, and i am grateful for that! gynae and myself have agreed to treat it as an anomaly for now, but will reconsider if problems recur.

i to had this problem my first time having mirena after a yr, and the reason was because it had been knocked slightly out of place, i had to have it removed and then a new one inserted

Hi, I was reading this post a week ago as I've had similar issues - I had a Mirena inserted 3 years ago in order to help with excessively heavy periods- no problems, really great in fact, BUT, recently I've experienced frequent and relatively heavy blood flow. I've since seen my GP, who sent me for several tests, and today's ultrasound revealed the problem - the Mirena has slipped down from my uterus into my cervix. Sounds weird I know, but it doesn't hurt at all, & it is not an emergency situation - the solution is to remove & replace the Mirena, which I've arranged to have done in 2 weeks time. The sonographer actually said that they had found spent the whole day trying to find lost IUD's in various patients. One important thing they said - the Mirena is ineffective as a contraceptive when not in the uterus, so it's important to use alternative contraception. I'll post again once I've had the Mirena replaced.

Hi, I had the mirena fitted two months ago now an im constantly bleeding and bloating i had it fitted because i have fibroid tumors an was told it would help reduce the bleeding but its not really helping my bleeding because instead of having 2 weeks of bleeding so bad i cant risk going to the shop im not bleeding daily i have had 6 days of spotting the rest constant bleeding an losing big clots an tissue like clots i had it fitted through hysteroscopy an im really at my witts end with it all now

Hi I had a Mirena fitted 3 years ago. took a few months so settle down. Then for 2 years all was well. soon, I realised that my libido was waning & my ability to orgasm was a problem. I mean I always took a long time, & could only acheive orgasm myself, never with someone else, but it was there! Now, I take forever & sometimes it is "empty'. I know this sounds weird, but I know that something has happened, but no real feeling or sensation. I was also 'dry". I did not link it to the Mirena, until i read about these side effects on websites. in October 2010 i had some pain- like menstruation cramps. I then started lightly spotting every 10 days or so. During New Years I had a nasty pelvic infection. This was followed by a period of clots, dark brown almost black clots. During my pelvic infection, I had a blood test & my iron was low. Now although I was spotting previously, it was no where near enough to account for a low iron count. I mean sometimes it was just on the loo paper when I peed- nothing else. My doc was on holidays, and I went to a superclinic. The Doc there said that i might have some internal bleeding, but was not too concerned. I have lost 25 kg in the last 11 months, because I had put on weight. It was certainly an uphill battle, and although I have recently starting excercising a lot more, and watching what i eat, i have not lost any weight for about 6 weeks or so. I am so over this. I am 45 & every treatment for my pcos has had the side effects of weight gain and sexual dysfunction. Is there ANYTHING that can be do stop heavy periods, but does not have the 2 side effects mentioned?

in feb 2009 i had to have the mirena removed because i became pregnant! something the doctors will not tell u is 1 in 25 women become pregnant with the mirena implant! i lost that baby because they have to open your cervics to remove the mirena. this not only happened to me it happened to 3 other women in my family. please becareful with this method of birth control. i did 
have a baby boy in april of 2010 who was born 3 months premature and the doctor told me his prematurity was from side 
effects of the mirena implant. so please becareful with the mirena.  

Hi everyone, I stumbled on this sight because i am looking for answers, i have had my mirena for 3 years i have never had a problem with it until last month i became very nausiated i swore i was pregnate because i was haveing to go pee every 4 min and the thought of food made me sick. but then i started my period so i calmned down it was heavier than normal and after 7 days of bleeding heavy it lightend up but never went away after 2 weeks of bleeding with hard pains i called my Dr. and set an appt. but  the day before my appt me and my husband tried to have sex but the pain was to much that we stopped i called to let them know and they asked me to go in right away. They did a work up on me and nothing was found wrong in my blood or in the vaginal labs. So now im hear on week 3 still bleeding and i have to wait till monday which is another week away inorder to get a sonagram done. i told them i was in alot of pain and really needed to be looked at but they said just to wait till monday....I am scared i dont know what could be wrong....=/ can anyone help

I had my mirena inserted in August 2010 for contraception and heavy periods. The periods become normal and apart from the normal settling down cramps all was fine. One year later (Aug 2011) I am having very heavy periods (we are on 8 weeks of flow now) where some days were so heavy that I have to change my tampon every 30 min. The flow is very bright red. I have to wait three weeks to see the gyne and he recommended anti-inflammatory's to reduce the bleeding. This has helped to reduce the flow to manageable, but I feel bloated and a slight awareness in my pelvis (Like normal period pains). I hope that I don't have to have it removed as the cost of the original insertion was quite hight and I won't be able to afford another one. I'm seeing the gyne in 5 days and will repost after

Hi your post is the first one I've found that sounds like me this morning. I have had the mirena in for 3 years with no issues. My periods are very light and don't last long and they still show up every month like clockwork. Then suddenly this morning I got a huge gush and I was bleeding heavy and bright red. I'm a little concerned but I have no pain. Any thoughts for me on what i should do?

Hello all. I have had mirena for 4yrs this last January. My Dr and I have known since first checkup after placement that mirena had moved a little farther up than originally placed so there is no way for me to check if still inplace, but dr have not been concerned since. Now this morning I wake up with heavy bright red bleeding. Does any one know if this means Mirena has come out?

Hi All.
I posted 4 months ago as a guest. I had heavy bleeding after a year with the merina and went to see the gyne. On my initial exam I was informed that I had a meoma (small benign growth) on side of my uterus wall, but I was aware of this from before and have never had any problems before. Before the Merina my Gyne told me that this growth might cause the heavy bleeding and therefore I decided on the merina, which was supposed to fix this problem. Well in a nutshell, I was taken to surgery to remove the small (+/-1.5 cm) growth (as we thought this was the cause of my bleeding problems). It turned out that the "small" growth was a bit bigger than expected (5cm) and it had to be cut in half to remove. Due to the surgery my womb was still a bit tender and the Merina could not be re-inserted in the theatre, but only 4 weeks later in the doctor’s rooms. I've had the Merina in again now for +/- 3 months and so far so good. I still have regular periods, but they are very light. The irony of the whole story is that with the original growth I probably would not have been able to have any children anyway as the Gyne said there would not be enough space in my womb for the growth and the foetus. As I don’t want to have children and this was one of the main motivators for having the merina inserted, it is a bit Ironic. The merina had moved a little and had punctured the growth and that was the cause of the original heavy bleeding.

I do feel a bit bloated ad my breasts are very tender, but otherwise I am very happy with my merina. The second insertion after the surgery was a bit more painful than the first, but it was probably because my womb was still a bit tender after the op. with my last check-up 7 weeks after insertion, the strings have unfortunately moved up and this will probably only become an issue when I have to remove it again (4years and 8 months from now) so I'll worry about it then.

Hope this helps some of the questions out there