I am 49.. almost 50.. Will just turn 50 2 weeks before my due date. I am extremely overweight, I have Congestive Heart Failure, and I have COPD, and a history of extreme high blood pressure, and to top it off with.. now the doc says I am border line diabetic. I am now 3 months pregnant.
Started spotting blood 2 days ago.. Doctor said not to worry about it, Now tell me.. how do you Not worry about spotting blood? Still just spotting though..
I am under alot of stress.. and I try not to be.. but seems like bad luck just kinda follows me.
My question, is what are the risk factors that I need to be aware of. I asked my doctor, and all he would tell me.. is we'd take one day at a time.. I asked him if I should take prenatal vitamins.. Nope.. he said.. I need to eat lots of vegetables, no red meat, I need to rest for 1 hour after every 2 hours. That is it.. nothing more.. now.. I know there are many risks of being pregnant and being 50.. Low birth weight, High blood pressure, Downs Syndrome,.. and so on.. but what is the risk of Myself even living long enough to see my baby.. Do I need to get my affairs in order, just in case the worse should happen?

Thanks for listening, and any helpful suggestions would be grateful

There is a big possibilty that I am pregnant ...and everything on this post could be me...needless to say I am a bit overwhelmed. How did this pregnacy come along. Was it a hard birth? Is the baby healthy? I cannot find info on being pregnant after fifty. I will be finding iut this Friday If I am or not. Don't know which way I want it to turn out. I am really confused...Thanks %-)

This could be me, as well! I am 52 yrs. old, and have high suspicions that I could be pregnant. I have other health conditions also. How did your pregnancies go? Yourself? Baby?
This would be my second late baby. I had my first at....well, I conceived just after my 40th b/day, and gave birth three weeks before my 41st b/day.
But this is 12 years later, and my son is now 11. My body is not the same as it was, so I am worried. I am completely caught off-guard. Can you give me some idea of how it was for you?
Thanks

Me too!!! It all started in October I had just recovered from swine flu and it began ith hot flushes I thought here comes the menapause, my period was 9 days late so when I went to the GP to ask about HRT I took along a urine sample which was negative for pregnancy. And so the flushes continued becoming worse every day. I had other symptoms for example dizzyness, nausea, fatigue, urine frequency backache, headaches, excessive hunger, breast tenderness and now I feel movement down around my pubic bone it was faint at first but over the last to weeks it has got stronger, I also feel full down there. I am 50, 51 next month at first I thought the symptoms of the menapause were mimicking pregnancy but the movement is so real. I cant bring myself to take another test and it may sound strange but I will feel disapointed if it is negative but relieved at the same time!!! I am also worried about telling my husband, I have hinted by saying my symptoms but not the movement. I was so pleased to read your posts I dont feel so alone thank you.......... If I am preg I will be around 14-16 weks.

I am also 51, super morbidly obese, and pregnant for the first time (I had no fertility help.) I too, thought it was menopause but then experienced swollen breasts and my pants waistband was getting tighter. I had a pregnancy test and the FSH was through the roof. An ultrasound at 10 weeks showed twin sacs. I am now at 12 weeks , and despite being overweight, I have an obvious pregnancy bump already! I also tested positive for diabetes. I was referred to a perinatologist because of all the high risk factors who did another ultrasound because my uterus is measuring so large (I look 6 months pregnant!)-- the ultrasound still shows twins but he suspects a hidden triplet (yikes!). I don't know if he's covering himself legally or trying to make me feel irresponsible for getting pregnant, being so fat and old, but his line is: Its very unlikely we'll have a positive outcome here.
So after being excited to be pregnant, now I wonder if any of us will even survive the pregnancy. Other than being very tired, I feel fine. But I've already gained 24 lbs mostly boobs and belly but also edema in my legs. The Dr. has already ordered a belly support (and a strict diet) for me and I'm wondering how big my belly (if there is 3 of them -- and diabetics have big babies!) will get and how much weight I'll gain during the growth spurts and what weight I'll be at delivery time?

To the last poster (or anyone else still reading here) Care to share a followup/update? I'm very interested to know how you are doing :-)

How did it work out? I hope positively.

I am 49 and will be 50 this Oct. I strongly suspect I could be pregnant. I am having similar symptoms I had when I found out I was pregnant with my 5th child at age 47! The only difference is before I even thought to take a HPT(in 2009), I thought it was the start of menopause. I was never late. They were just getting lighter(2-3 days) When I was 1-1/2 months late in Sept '09, I decided to take a HPT just to rule out pregnancy. My symptoms were different than my other pregnancies. I just had a cramping feeling like 'it' was going to start. I was tired more. The heartburn was horrible! I was in a state of shock when the test was positive. It was almost.surreal. My first appointment was in Oct. '09. I was 14 weeks. I have a beautiful healthygirl, 27

I had trouble typing-the screen acted up. Anyway, I have a beautiful, healthy 27 month old daughter. I am still nursing her occasionally, a comfort thing for her. I can't tell any changes there other that they seem fuller

Oops again. My toddler bumped me! So sorry! I am about 8 days late. Because I am aware of how I felt 3 years ago and it wasn't menopause, I'm concerned I could be pregnant. I have the same cramping feeling. My sense of smell has heighted. I have dizziness. The HPT was negative, but I took it much sooner than last time. The only thing is I've never taken a test and have it be wrong. My first 2 children were born in the 80's. Second 2, in the 90's (9 yrs. later) Each set 2 yrs. apart. If I am pregnant, this set will be almost exactly 3 yrs. apart! 13 yrs. from the last. It will be a blessing if I am. I will have to wait a few days to retake a test. The funny thing is my oldest and his wife just had their first 9 months ago. When I'm out with my teenagers, people ask if my toddler is mine. I don't get offended. I just smile inside.

I love reading these articles. My mother was 49 about to turn 50 when the doctors told her that she was ready to have several more children. This by the way was in 1977.

No drugs all natural. I hope the same will happen for me. I want a baby because I have more money now and feel ready. I had a chance years ago but no mate was around to help at all.

I am surprised by the amount of women who feel Blessed to be late moms. I guess it is a Blessing after all.

I will pray for all of the women who want babies and take good care of them

God Bless.

wow these stories are scaring me because I always thought that when your menopausing and not period you were done with child birthing. But when my OB told me that I could still conceive I was floored. However, I was still in disbelief because it's been almost 3yrs. no period, but I swear all of a sudden this year I'm have cramps again as if im going to have a period but nothing. It's funny how the body has a memory of what it thinks its suppose to do. Crazy and now scary after reading these stories. Sinscerely about to be 49 and SCARED! My hormones are raging like a teenage girl. OMG!!!!

So many women are now having babies late. I personally feel that it good in a lot of ways because you are more mature, literally. SMILE.

Seriously, better late than never. Will you be around to see the child grow up, well.......some of the younger women won't live to see their chidlren grow up for various reasons. I say, if you are in good shape and have a positive mind, God Bless you and your child. I love to read this and hear women who have 5 children wanting more. Wow. Two is plenty but that at least shows that motherhood is a good thing. Blessings to all.

you are selfish

I am 50 and have had 8 positive pregnancy tests!:-D I really would love an update from the other moms of how it all worked

out. It is wonderful to follow your dreams.