I'm running my one and only 50k in Mississippi but I need some guidance. I'm having a difficult time finding 50k training schedules.

I'm thinking of modifying Galloway's "Marathon Guide" schedule since he has plans which go as far as 28 miles.

Anyone used a 50k training plan or know of where I could peruse some?

There's not much difference between a 50k and a marathon in terms of physiological demands, except one is slightly longer...I would assume the training plans for both are about the same, only the long runs for the 50k may be a few miles longer.

I've read and heard of ultrarunners incorporating back-to-back long runs into their training schedules. I knew someone training for a 50 or 100 mile race doing this sort of thing. For example 2 1/2 hrs Friday, 4-5 hrs Saturday, 2 hrs Sunday....I don't know how this may apply to a 50k training schedule but apparently it one of the ways to get the body used to running for long hours...which is what it will go through in a grueling ultramarathon race anyways.

I'm using this one currently:

http://www.scrunners.org/ultrasch.php

Before my first 50K, I just added more long runs in.
I was probaly/was overtrained for it. I ran 3 20's, 1 22, 1 24 and 1 26.5 miler before the 50K. I'm more mellow now.

I have started my back to backs. (I'm training for a 50 mile right now.)
I'm up to 20 miles on Saturday, and 10 on Sunday. On the schedule link above, I don't know how much of the longer distances I will get it midweek.

It's just extending the long run a bit, the 50K is not so much past the marathon length.

GOOD LUCK!! And welcome to the fun side of running!!

50k training = marathon training to me - unless it's onew of the more extreame 50k's you'll be fine

Actually it's a very easy 50k run in a national forest. Maybe a few muddy creeks if it rains but nothing serious.
And it is only a little bit more than a marathon but it's as far as I intend to go, unless a bear begins chasing me along the route. :D

I agree with WTR. It is only 5 miles more than a marathon so if you follow your current marathon training you will be fine. Just plan on running about a minute a mile slower. When I did my first one that is almost exactly how much slower per mile I was between my Marathon in December and the 50K in March.

What should we add to that training program? I am signed up for the bear mountain 50K and it's supposedly the hilliest and toughest of the northface series.