Except for marathon training which I lay out fairly detailed plans, I really do not plan my runs far in advance.

I usually think about my next day's run and before I go to be decide, the course, type and distance of the run.

What about yous?

ummmm.......can we say anal retentive boys and girls. I am very methodical. not necessarily precise on the milage per outing but i have a range planned out for EVERY Saturday. i have 1 major route that i have broken down to allow for different paces/milage. Monday and Wednesday are planned social skates that i have turned into types of workouts. Wednesday and tuesday have specific run types too. AND DON"T MAKE ME CHANGE ANY OF IT. :umno: it would ruin my routine.

I'm really, really lazy about following any sort of a plan. I love to sit down and write up a plan, but I never end up sticking to it.

That's probably why I always feel like I've cheated myself on tapering. I always seem to wait to taper until the last day or two.

I pretty much just wing it.

i usually write a pretty good plan (or copy it)

follow it religiously...slack off, take a day off...modify plan...

re-work the whole plan

follow this plan religiously....then slack off...modify the whole plan...get back on track...

I can't ever make a plan stick...but I don't run much at all if I don't have one.

suggestions?

I pretty much just wing it.
:1: That even goes for some marathons. The only time I really plan for a race is if I'm planning on doing well at it. If I'm going out for fun, I may not even taper exept for the last few days.

Just like me, coach. I always have a rough plan, because I'm always training for something, but with my crazy life I have to be flexible. As long as my mpw doesn't vary by +/- 10 each week, I'm OK with it.

I used to wing it but now that I am in the second cycle of marathon training as I get ready for my 50K. I am starting to like the idea of planning the runs out. It helps to keep me motivated. Granted after the 50K I am just going to work on maintaining a 40 mile a week average but I will probably pick what days I do what miles and work off of that.

I meticuosly plan my training program 3 months out. Guess I'm task oriented and it motivates me. Of course I have to tweak the plan from time to time when my training is either going better than expected, or not as well as expected.

Technically you should plan out the entire year's training plan if necessary (including year training hours, training cycles, time allotment for monthly, weekly, and daily workouts and training phases: base, intensity, peak, race, recovery). The same basic principle applies to most endurance sports. I'm going to try this out after my half with a 10k this April and a longer 10 cycle (40 week) program for my designated fall/winter racing schedule. Hopefully this works out well...

Mine are pretty planned out...I'm following a schedule for a half-marathon and trying to keep up with the distances on the same days. Sometimes life or snowstorms interferes or worse yet my career and I have to switch days around. I do like planning out running schedules and race schedules. I can't wait until spring when more races appear on the calendar.

i love making plans.....

and i love not sticking to them

in the summer i have a usual place i run and same for the winter, but i usually change up the distances to how i feel that day. luckily my summer spot has enough 'options' that its pretty easy to change things up if i want.

Generally, I know where my runs are from week to week. But I leave enough flexibility in them so that if I want to run with one group or another at the spur of the moment I can do so.

As long as I get at least 25 miles in each week I don't sweat where I'm running, although I'm trying to get up to 40-45 miles/weekly on a consistent basis.