Hi, I have a few questions that I would like answered about Bulemia. One of my very close friends has Bulemia and is currently in treatment, as I understood she also had a form of anorexia. I always thought that those two are basically the same diseases what’s the difference between anorexia and Bulemia and what are possible consequences that Bulemia can leave?

Bulemia, just like anorexia is an eating disorder. The difference between them is that in anorexia the sufferer loses weight with strict diets and starving him/herself, the weight is extremely low and the outcome of the disease can be very bad even with proper treatment. On the other hand, in Bulemia sufferers have episodes of overeating and vomiting, they eat too much and then vomit to prevent weight gain. Girls with Bulemia usually have normal, average weight, but they still think they are overweight and try to reduce weight by vomiting and the use of laxatives. Both anorexia and Bulemia are psychological conditions and are treated as such. If your friend had suffered from anorexia before then we are talking about anorexic Bulemia nervosa which is the most dangerous form of the disease that also includes significant loss of weight. People who are suffering from Bulemia usually have lack of minerals in their body and electrolyte disbalance, as the result of the loss of weight they may also have hormonal disbalaces that can cause infertility in women, and even if they are still able to bare children they usually have problems during pregnancy.