What is anorexia nervosa? My mother keeps telling me that I will slide into it without noticing if I don’t stop keeping myself hungry. She thinks I’m too thin and I look like hell. I, on the other hand, think I could use a loss of two or three kilos. I keep exercising and I really see nothing wrong with this. I try to eat low - calorie food, but that’s good, right? My food is healthier and I don’t have to think about diabetes, blood pressure etc. I simply can’t accept that leading a healthy life can be called anorexia nervosa.

When you put it this way, it is very difficult for someone who is not present to say the correct diagnosis. It is usual for young girls to take much care of their weight and if all you do is try to lead a healthy life, then that is very positive. Anyway, you have to understand the concern of your mother - anorexia nervosa is a very serious disorder attacking usually young girls like you who exaggerate in weight control, starvation, exercising and end up both physically and mentally ill. And it is not easy to persuade them that it is absolutely necessary to see an expert. They are sure that everything is all right with them although that is not true. If you can’t control your actions, if you deny hunger, if you think you are too fat and afraid to get even fatter and especially if you notice that you are loosing weight, hair and colour of your face, if you are weak and if you are ill often, please seek help. That is a disorder, and you must try to find help. Hiding won’t help you and you’ll end up in a hospital. Again, if you notice signs of anorexia nervosa, please get help, tell your mother or anyone else. Acknowledgement is the first step toward successful treatment.

Go on the internet, and find a BMI calculator. you type in your height and current weight. If your BMI is between 20-28 you are normal weight, if it is 18-20 you are 'Underweight' and if it is lower than 17 you are 'anorexic'. Thats how they classify it scientifically, but there can be (not always) other factors too like: food obsession, distorted body image, slipping of morals(lying frequently), 'driven' exercise, jealousy and rage, anxiety, reliance on routine, etc....
From your post it sounds like you are treading on a knife-edge: a reliance on 'healthy' foods and a preoccupation with loosing weight coupled with excessive exercise is a very slippery slope to anorexia. I can talk because I had it, and that was exactly how it started for me. And trust me, you do NOT want to be anorexic, I nearly died. Your organs all shut down when you get to thin and you go into massive organ failure. Plus when you get even a bit underweight you are left with permanent ill effects like not enough calcium leading to osteoperosis, and increased risk of heart attack later in life. Hope this was helpful, best of luck hun :-)