Hi, I am 17 years old female and I would like to try some diet as I want to loose few pounds. I have already made a plan for it when my mother told me that diet may lead to anorexia and it really scared me. I would like to loose my weight but I don't want to get anorexia so please if anyone may tell me something about this I would be very thankful.

Hi, I would say that bad diet may lead to anorexia. Diet doesn't mean that you would stop eating but just to correct your eating habits. Anorexia is disorder where your organism suffers because you don’t take enough food for normal functioning. It may be very dangerous and may disrupt your but good diet with enough calories and vitamins and minerals is not anorexia.

Diets do not lead to Anorexia. They are usually the first sign of Anorexia, but do not cause it. In almost all instances there are underlying emotional issues.

I'm a former anorexic (I say former but really it's a recovering anorexic, been 'recovering' for 10 years and it's still a day to day battle). I wouldn't say that dieting will CAUSE anorexia. At least not a good diet.

Make sure whatever diet you are doing makes you eat at least three times a day... if it doesn't, that's BAD. Toss it and find another diet.

Also, don't do the Atkins diet, please please dont. It's bad on your entire body, on your kidneys, your heart and everything.

Other than that, find a good diet that allows you to eat well at least 3 times a day. You may be somewhat shocked that I'm saying "At least" 3 times. But in reality, a lot of the people out there who are really trying to lose weight and take care of their bodies eat small snacks between meals. Lots of them. Like between breakfast and lunch, grabbing a handful of peanuts is a good thing to do, eating a small small amount every 2 or 3 hours (between meals) like a handful of nuts or berries keeps your metabolism running even stronger.

However a bad diet CAN cause it if it's basically asking you to starve yourself. Take this from someone who accidently became anorexic and liked the results (at first) so stuck with it. Basically I was working three jobs and didnt have TIME to eat, then I started losing weight drastically and LIKED that I was and by that time, I really couldn't eat, i couldn't even eat an entire regular cheeseburger from McDonalds. Soon after, the fainting and hospital visits started.

So Dieting is SAFE if it's asking you to eat a normal amount of food and just watch what you're intaking. As long as it doesn't become an obseession I wish you happy and safe dieting :-D