Can you tell me how long I can expect to be in pain? How long I should expect to take to heal after my anal surgery? Also, how long can I take mineral oil to keep my stools soft--I suffer from IBS or possibly a mild crohns.

I had an anal fissure that partially healed over the course of about a year. The reason that it only partially healed was that it was infected. Last, December it abscessed to the point where I could push on a hard nodule just outside the hole and puss would ooze out of the unhealed area of the fissure. Gross, I know.

Since then, I have had a surgery to open and drain the abscess. The surgical cut is from the remaining portion of the fissure inside to the outside nodule.

It has been 8 weeks since my surgery. The bleeding and pussing have stopped. Now it just hurts when I go #2, similar to the way in which the anal fissure hurt last year. Some days there is intense burning, some days just a faint reminder of my wound's continuing presence.

Since I have been diagnosed with a very mild case of Crohn's, or IBS--dr.s are unsure which--I have been taking sulfazine and am scheduled to be fully evaluated later this year. Aside from the fissure turned abscess, my only sympom of these conditions is constipation, which is exacerbated by my very stressful job. I have been taking Milk Of Magnesia or mineral oil (never together) to alleviate this symptom. How long can I continue to do this?

any comments, stories advice would be appreciated.

Hey girl, I'm Mark. I know what you are going through right now, because my aunt went through the same thing couple of years ago. She had an anal abscess and underwent surgery and it took some time for her to get on with her life as if the procedure never happened. I advise you to rest as much as you can, to avoid driving and such activities that might ruin your healing process. Also, 8 weeks is not a long period and you shouldn't expect your procedure to heal so fast. Drink lots of fluids, take mineral oils and rest a lot. 

hi. i have had 4 surgery's in 6 months. 1st two were supposedly peri-anal abscesses, however the doctor who did the 3rd operation was convinced i had a fistula. however during surgery he was unable to find it. i went to a specialist in phila and he found it and operated i hope successfully. i have one more week til i see him again. i have a drainage tube from my butt and had an incision in my rectum. he said it was a deep post anal abscess with fistula. will it likely come back?

Hey,
for those who are suffering from or diagnosed with peri-anal abscess...i suffered from that too.Well the cause of it cannot be determined. Well out of the research tht i did from curiosity with the medical condition i was diagnosed with i was able to understand.Initially on day one i had slight Swelling starting near my vaginal opening. I just thought it was a heat boil and took some pin killers...But it did not work the condition worsened in the next 24 hours the size of the swelling had considerably increased.Then the next two days i felt as though my bladder was going to fall out and had extreme pain and thought the only was is to consult a doctor.Then when i consulted the doctor he told me there is pus collection and tht it immediately needs to be removed.Else it will burst on it own and there might be a lot of pain and if it bursts internally it might spread to other areas inside and could be even life threatening. I immediately got affected without further opinion from other doctors.Well the surgery was done the very day i got hospitalised.This is the first Surgery in my life.The surgery is a small one it takes 30 min to an hour maximum.Well a small incision or a cut is made in place where there is pus collection and is drained out.The doctor also checks the other possible areas where there can be pus collection and try to drain that too.Anus is also checked for any further infections.The incision is left open for it to heal over the days and closing it or stitching it will again lead to pus formation.I was able to walk immeditaely after surgery and resumed to work in two days time i just had slight negotiable discomfort while sittting on the first two days then in no time u will be on the road to recovery.The doctor adviced me to take SITZ bath with betadin solution which is used to to keep the open incision bacteria free and there will be pus dicharge where the abscess drains naturally and heals over the days.A course of antibiotic is prescibed.So do not hesitate when ur doctor says u have to undergo a surgery just go ahead with it.
Coming to the cause for abcess.. Well there are small pockets called as cavities in regions surrounding the anus and there are mucus membranes in the anus which might get infected with bacteria.This Happens when u suffer from constipation or if u have anal sex,or if a cut or a lesion is formed there and then it gets affected with the bacteria and then the WBC cells in our body fight against them and then aour bosy tries to protect the other organs by forming a wall over the area and seperating the infection.... But this wall acts as a barrier.As there is no place for the collected pus or WBC cells tht have died in fighting the infection they begin to collect and form the abscess.For a few ppl it will naturally open out in the form of a small blister and drain itself out ...or Swell up which has to be surgically removed and in complex cases if it very close to the anus...Then there is tube kind of a structure that forms tht connects the pus collected region to an openong in he Outside Called as the Fistula.. The name coming from tube or tunnel This connection is not naturally present...its formed in the processs to drain the Pus .This has to be definitely surgically Removed.
just try to follow good hygenic practices. Good Luck i just made this post cos i don want anyone elese to suffer frm it....

Me too. Thanks for the advice.

I had the perianal surgery, took longer so big hole in anus , getting it packed everyday. Don't delay. It all happened within a week.
I had a itch around anus, then bulge, abscess and burst pus, then surgery. Now dealing with packing. If u feel itchy or lump in the region see dr. Never delay. It's so serious. Hth

Thanks this was a nice and useful information. I was little worried but now am thankful to this information, though i had a surgery.

Thank you very much. I have just had an operation for a perianal abcess. I found reading your post reassuring and informative. Thank you for taking the time.

My ass was started to burn. VA 1800- hot line nurse said to use Preparation-H and to soak my ass in the tube with baking soda. After the pain got unbareable I ended up in the ER then 2 surgerys. I know I got this because I couldn't move for 3 weeks, couldn't even sit on a toilet because of a pinched nerve. I barely went to the bathroom during this time. VA treatment was take a pain killer that didn't kill the pain. I would say, I can't sit on a toilet, again they refered back to the pain killers that didn't work. When I asked them how this happened to my ass. The doctors said: they don't know, could of been anything. BS. The AMA is all about making money. If you are reading this, you are screwed. Go to doctor now before the pain is to great.

My husband  had his 1st surgery for a rectum abscess on the 6th of nov, by the 16th he had to have another. 

He still has a discharge , & today he bled too. Is this normal? He says the pain is unbearble & as a result he cannot sleep at nights.

I think the surgeon has put a seton, or something to drain the pus.

Anyone here on this forum, with similar experience????

How long should I wait to gave sex after my abscess heals